Allocation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Thanks Catherine :P

Fingers crossed :wink:

Footymad

Post by Guest »

Hi Patricia, Im the 'anxious mum of 1' who is no longer so anxious!!. We live in Berkshire and received our letters this morning - 28th Feb.!!! At long last the wait is over. My son was offered his 1st choice of school -Burnham Grammar and we are all thrilled. I can feel an Indian meal coming on for Saturday!! I think we all deserve it - our son for working so hard and ourselves for coping so well!!.

Hope all goes well for everybody else out there - I know how you feel.

GOOD LUCK

Anxious mum of 1

Post by Guest »

:?: Hi, Just wondered if anyone can help - maybe Patricia? Does the Grammar school which your child is going to have the information on what the pass scores were of the individual children and whether they got in through appeal or not?

Thanks

Kay
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Anxious mum of 1

Sorry I haven't replied earlier, missed your post totally, well done. Happy you got the school of your choice.

Dear Kay

Yes all the schools, uppers and grammars receive scores, they can use them plus the SATs scores to ensure mixed ability classes. So you don't get all 141s or 121s in the same class. After y7 the schools will have a more individual approach.

Patricia

Post by Guest »

Patricia, Thanks very much - your're a mine of information - keep it up!

Kay
Mel

Post by Mel »

What?

We were told categorically that the schools did not know the scores, and they did not know who had got through on appeal!

That is so unfair - my daughter got through on appeal (120) as she had been ill, but this is indicating that she is not as bright as a child who got 141, which is so wrong! So immediately she is being labelled as not being as bright as a 141 child.
Most children I know who got 141 were June - August birthdays and certainly not brighter than my daughter or any other children who got 121 or close!!!
Also - the school my daughter is at do not do SATS - so how can they use those as a guideline too?

I know for a fact that one of the boys grammars put children into classes by going through the alphabet. -ie 1st in alphabetical order goes to class a, then 2nd goes to class b and so on.

Mel
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel

All junior schools keep a record for each child in their care,that record includes all exam results including SATs and 11 plus, SEN records,etc...this file is sent to their next school, during the summer term.

I said schools 'can' use these results, not a definite ' yes, they do' I have only seen them used to create mixed ability and that's probably the last time they look at them, which would favour your daughter.

I wouldn't worry either way, I have seen statistics showing appeal children often perform better in the grammar system.

Patricia
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel

Just found this for you, re common transfer file.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/cabinet_papers/overv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... item7a.pdf

See section 2 Pupil transition from primary to secondary

Hope this helps, also mentions SATs/independent schools

Patricia
forest

Post by forest »

In my experience, and through conversations with grammar school teachers, they don't take a huge amount of notice of 11+ results and quickly form their own opinions of who the brightest children are through the work they produce and their attitude to lessons.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

I have been told of someone allocated to a Bcuks school in circumstances that do not square up with what I understand of the Bucks system.

The Chalfonts Community College profile in the Bucks document is described as: "All catchment children offered and some out of area siblings to a distance of 3.348 miles"

An out of area (Slough) child, with no siblings in the school, would have been offered a place in Chalfonts because they put it as first preference.

To me it is not possible, and there is some information missing ( for example, the child goes to a school in Slough but may live in Bucks). Or is there something that I don't understand about the system?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now