2013 CEM exam – what materials you’ve used?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

gameon

2013 CEM exam – what materials you’ve used?

Post by gameon »

Hi there,

If we have parents who have gone through the CEM exam for bucks, would you mind letting us know what materials or test papers you have used and you would consider them as it helped your child.
I am suddenly having the panic attack know April is almost here. However my DC not seem to think we have heaps of time.

Thank you
Gameon
ptolemy

Re: 2013 CEM exam – what materials you’ve used?

Post by ptolemy »

For comprehension, I used random passages from books, newspapers and poems. Tested Dd by discussing them. We also tried some of the past papers from private schools available on this website. For vocabulary, the CGP books were very useful. Bought the 9-10, 10-11 and parents guide verbal reasoning and comprehension books. Also the one with 2 practice papers.
For Maths, we did lvl 6 SAT papers and I set some questions involving multiple operations or steps.
NVR we used Bonds.
Didn't buy any books except for CGP. Got a couple of Bonds and Letts books from friends for timed practice papers.
Although not conventional prep ( we started only in June, but did one hour every day until the exam day), we found that this was sufficient. On hindsight, we could have spent more time on vocabulary, as that was what Dd found difficult during the exam.
Hope this is useful. All the best!
gameon

Re: 2013 CEM exam – what materials you’ve used?

Post by gameon »

Hi Ptolemy

This is very helpful and thank you so much.

Gameon.