Dr Challoner's address requirements

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

southbucks3

Re: Dr Challoner's address requirements

Post by southbucks3 »

Another downside is that it leads on to the sort of thinking of let's live here before conception because the schools are good. Encouraging that kind of thinking does not improve all schools for everyone.
Obviously we did not do this, but I do not see the problem with it in general, although obviously I would love the area to be full of fifth generation locals! "We want a family so let's move to an area with clean air and good schools." This is a healthy and responsible attitude, these people often throw themselves into their new community. Finances are not of huge importance in this concept as town houses often compare money wise to country houses, the rental costs are often cheaper, this may help towards commuter costs. Obviously every scenario does not fit every lifestyle and every pocket.
We are back to the eleven plus exams forum Elysium now if we want equal everywhere, which obviously most do.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

That's weird: thought I posted this but it disappeared. I will paraphrase myself: I live in an area where all the state schools have a very good reputation (yes we are lucky). People do indeed move here before conception because of this, and of course it has a huge inflationary effect on house prices and rental values. There is an upside though as people have committed to the area and there is a great sense of community with a lot of community events and strongly supported PTAs in the schools.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes it has positives for those who can afford the area but not for those who can't. It happens even without April rules though, I know you are right about that.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

mystery wrote:Yes it has positives for those who can afford the area but not for those who can't.
Absolutely agree Mystery. I'm lucky to have been in my area for about 25 years - got here before house prices became astronomical. This is why it can be ludicrous when other posters on here say you can "just" relocate for a school: often it is completely unaffordable for normal people - unless, as Dr Challoner's has established, you are super-rich and can do what you like, or think you can!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now