score out of 141

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nina

11 plus

Post by nina »

Thanks Sally , i am so mad the teacher even sent home a piece of paper on how they do it and told my daughters if she kept it up she would pass with those scores, i could cry right now she had her heart set on the school she picked and all due to being led into thinking this :cry:
Billy

141 what is a pass

Post by Billy »

Thanks Sally for your help on this !

It is so diffcult to work out perhaps you can help me. My daughter is a July birthday and was scoring around 68, I worked it out that it should be just enough. Am I correct?

Many Thanks
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Billy

No guarantees, but it should just about be OK. I'm afraid it will be nail-biting wait for you though.

Good luck - let us know what the result is!
Sally-Anne
Billy

141 what is a pass

Post by Billy »

Sally-Anne wrote:Hi Billy

No guarantees, but it should just about be OK. I'm afraid it will be nail-biting wait for you though.

Good luck - let us know what the result is!
Sally-Anne
Thanks so much for your advice, wish I had discovered this excellent forum earlier. Will let you know how she gets on. :lol:

Post by Guest »

OK WHAT ABOUT EARLY APRIL BORN....??? :?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest

It really is hard to say, but the answer is probably in the region of 88%.

The question of which children benefit most or are most disadvantaged by standardisation has come up before on the Bucks section.

There is nothing scientific about this, but the general feeling was that the children born between roughly December and March are at the biggest disadvantage. They need to achieve a higher mark because of their age, but do not necessarily have additional maturity that a September/October birthday might have.

It must also be said that I have seen a couple of late August-born children get through the 11+ by a narrow margin who were very suspect candidates for a GS.

Sally-Anne
Hilda

Post by Hilda »

Sally Anne

This forum spends quite a lot of time debating what score is needed for children of different ages to pass the 11+. As we well know it varies from year to year according to the standardisation table devised and used for each test. However, as far as I know, no one has ever published the standardisation table for any specific Bucks 11+ test. Could we require Bucks CC to make available to the public the standardisation table used for the 2006 two tests under the freedom of information act? This would at least give us some real figures to hang on to, and also give us some idea if they differed much from test to test. Any brave soul out there happy to have a go - how about the person who manage to get the list of how many children qualified from all bucks state primary schools?

Hilda
Di

Can I join in the what is a pass question

Post by Di »

My daughter is 11 on 15/10/07 so she falls into the category of 10 and 11 months. I've looked a t the standardisations website and it was too much for me too late at night. She as varied on practise papers she has done from between 63 and 77 at her lowest and highest. I think I may be nin's twin with my anxiety. I was told that 80% is a pass by several sources which would be for her rouhgly 66 and above because of her age.
In practise test A she scored 72 and in the two other tests they did at scholl she was similar marks. The practise tests she did at home which were from a source were the person wrote there own tests and tried to make them slightly harder to challenge the child I would say were generally around the 80% mark. So now I am hugely anxious. 121 is a pass for bucks and at an 11+ meeting at the school we were told that anything under 120/119 would not be considered in an appeal but that we can try. We are catchment for Mandeville but it is so oversubscribed and we live at least a mile and half away so we have been told we don't stand a chance. Waddesdon would be our next preferred non school and although we are practising christinans we are not C of E and whilst she is an honours in singing her musci playing is only grade 1. Ir is such a lottery for schools. Henry Floyd is our preferred school because of the performing arts status and her talent for singing and dancing - but you have to be grammar school material to benefit from this! Is there anyway round it if she does not pass and her score is to low to appeal? U have not registered as yet.
Di

apologies

Post by Di »

I am very tired and the english and spelling in my post is rubish so I apologise and hope you can understand it!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

at an 11+ meeting at the school we were told that anything under 120/119 would not be considered in an appeal
This is simply untrue!

It would be correct to say that the higher the two scores are, the greater the chances of a successful appeal. And the further away from 121, the stronger the appeal case needs to be.

Each case is considered on its own particular merits.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now