Bus ticket renewal change of buses

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kittymum

Re: Bus ticket renewal change of buses

Post by kittymum »

scary mum wrote:In South Bucks the local school will be a Sikh school. I feel sure this won't be many local people's choice, regardless of their religious background.
I think they've been removed from the closest school calcs this year as the school is only in temporary accommodation - seem to recall seeing something on school transport web page.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Yes it does mention one school being exempt from calcs, assume that is it.

Been searching in vain for a simple bus time table telling me what time the buses go from the local stop and when they will arrive at various schools.

Anyone got a link?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

The thing is, I think we are pretty much all in agreement that local authorities and county councils are absolutely strapped for cash. However we also all seem in agreement that the money left in the kitty for school transport should be first allocated to children on fsm, then those whose parents gave tax credits, then just chuck the rest in a big pot and divide it between children who are attending their catchment upper or grammar but live more than three miles away, as a part cost subsidy, to be topped up by parents. I cannot see anyone complaining really, we get a free bus pass and to be honest, much as we love the convenience, the lazy little toad could hop on his bike most days...He would soon conquer those giant hills....I did...(ooh do I sound like tebbit?) Either that or get the public bus, or lift share with the four others at his stop.

I read today that over sixties are protesting in Yorkshire that they only get half price on local train fares now, not free.
I wish people would sit up and listen....We are skint...hacienda days are over, it's a bit of a poo to say the least, but just remember every time a service is cut, the likelyhood is some one has lost their job. Buses doubled up...One driver not two required!
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

SB3 you're absolutely right of course agree totally. I'm well aware that my huffing and puffing is a pretty middle class stamping of my foot :lol: . I would welcome a fairer "blanket" policy - would also love it if we had some public transport back in our villages but sadly fear that's forever a thing of the past :-(
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I think the lack of public transport in villages is probably an even bigger issue than school/home transport. Years ago they severed public transport links between chinnor and risborough, I do not know if this is still the case, but they are linked in so many ways, from doctors practices, to toddler groups if was ridiculous. A mum I knew in risborough, like myself at the time, chose not to have a car whilst she was a stay at home mum, she was forced to go back on her decision and buy a car as her elderly mum lived in chinnor. :?
Also with no buses from villages to the bigger towns the kids are completely dependent on parents transporting them everywhere, whereas we used to get buses to meet one another, not from our doorstep granted, but bus stops with hourly buses were never more than a mile away. I think it was a terrible case of use it or lose it.
There is shuttle service now that picks up pensioners who book in advance, from the area to various destinations and back. This is with volunteer drivers, paid controllers/booking clerks and charity funded and it is a big success with funding for the next five years and it is often fully booked as It is so much cheaper than taxis. I wonder if parents could eventually co-ordinate sharing such a service for school runs with pensioner trips between times?
guest666

Post by guest666 »

The Free School in Stoke Poges may have been omitted from the bus considerations this year (but not allocation of places) but it serves to highlight that Free Schools are state schools and therefore should one open in your vicinity it could be regarded as your nearest school.

(The school in question has lost two planning applications and the outcome of an appeal against the first rejection is pending)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

guest666 wrote:The Free School in Stoke Poges may have been omitted from the bus considerations this year (but not allocation of places) but it serves to highlight that Free Schools are state schools and therefore should one open in your vicinity it could be regarded as your nearest school.

(The school in question has lost two planning applications and the outcome of an appeal against the first rejection is pending)
And new-Gove & her merry men can decide to ignore the advice given by the hearing & approve it anyway. I wonder what will happen??
scary mum
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of this particular school or have enough knowledge / info to have an opinion etc but do question how a school can open without having secured a permanent site?
guest666

Post by guest666 »

kittymum wrote:I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of this particular school or have enough knowledge / info to have an opinion etc but do question how a school can open without having secured a permanent site?
The Government introduced legislation that allows the Secretary of State for Education to override any planning issues for one year
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Ds has been offered his (paid for) bus place - hope everyone else has got theirs.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now