Rating Chesham Grammar vs an outstanding comprehensive

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Re: Rating Chesham Grammar vs an outstanding comprehensive

Post by mystery »

Oh wow. Average gcse grade of high attainers is a-. That is the same as the grammar we are aiming for and higher than the best non-selectives here in west kent and the comprehensive over the border in east surrey.

Very envious!
Are they strong in the individual gcse subjects you would care about?
aman

Post by aman »

@mystery...how did you see the data for nower hill? please educate me. Thanks in advance.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

aman wrote:I am all out to provide the best possible education but trying to keep myself away from the mad race. I am not happy to put the DC for a long journey and more importantly missing out on small pleasures like walking to friends, hanging out in a local park or coffee lounge for a small differential in the school performance (in this case of Chesham vs nower hill, not even sure if that's the case!). I firmly believe that all these now trivial looking aspects have a great contribution in shaping up the child for an overall happy and "experienced" adult.
Did any other Bucks/EPE regulars just feel a fresh breeze waft past them?

+1, aman, +1.

<applauds>
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

Sally-Anne wrote: Did any other Bucks/EPE regulars just feel a fresh breeze waft past them?

+1, aman, +1.

<applauds>
I'm hoping they consider some of the SW Herts schools, we could do with some level headed parents in the area. I have no doubts their DC is going to do well where ever they go ;-)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Google dfe performance tables. Put in your school name. Scroll down through all the data and look at the various results for high attainers - these are children who got level 5 at ks2. Enjoy. I should move to harrow. Not quite sure why people move to kent .....

You can compare with Chesham grammar school.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

mystery you can't compare properly .... level 5 can be eveything from one mark over the boundary to 100% - a HUGE range.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Sally-Anne wrote:
aman wrote:I am all out to provide the best possible education but trying to keep myself away from the mad race. I am not happy to put the DC for a long journey and more importantly missing out on small pleasures like walking to friends, hanging out in a local park or coffee lounge for a small differential in the school performance (in this case of Chesham vs nower hill, not even sure if that's the case!). I firmly believe that all these now trivial looking aspects have a great contribution in shaping up the child for an overall happy and "experienced" adult.
Did any other Bucks/EPE regulars just feel a fresh breeze waft past them?

+1, aman, +1.

<applauds>
And me. What a sensible family. I really wish you the best.

Have to say too if grammar had not been very close and easy to get to we would not have considered it for our children. The thing that is annoying is, we are close to the school, but many of the children's friends, particularly my daughter's, are not nearby so the social side of things outside school is compromised. Luckily she has remained friends with several girls from primary so they still see each other very frequently.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Guest55 wrote:mystery you can't compare properly .... level 5 can be eveything from one mark over the boundary to 100% - a HUGE range.
I know a level 5 is a huge range. But in a reasonable size sample of level 5 children, despite the fact the range in scores in that ks2 test is big, the average gcse grade still tells you something - with a degree of error of course.

If it was a superselective one was looking at it would be less informative as then one might expect the level 5 children to be skewed towards high level fives. But this is less likely at nower or amersham. It might happen to a degree at amersham, so maybe it is more impressive that nower achieves the same average gcse grade. Who knows. Sure you would need to examine the data to make sure they were not all doing gcse's at nower in which a and a* grades are ten a penny e.g.re and the like.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now