The new 11+ test - Help for someone who knew the old test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
duffymoon

The new 11+ test - Help for someone who knew the old test

Post by duffymoon »

Hi Everyone,

Our DS and DD both sat the old test and went on to Grammar school, so as parents we were very familiar with the old style 11+ test, but unfortunately it's all change now :(

Our youngest DS has just started year 5 and will be taking the new 11+ in September 2015.

With the old test we were able to get DS and DD to sit quite a lot of mock tests under timed test conditions, but I believe the new test is quite different, in that it is broken down into timed sections and the children can't go back to previous sections and finish a question they might have missed or check their answers. I am also informed that during the test a CD plays with a voice telling them when to start and stop each section. Is this right ? I guess to try and replicate test conditions, we'll have to sit there while they do the test, telling them when to start and stop each section ?

Also, from what I can see only 2 CEM style mock test papers are available to purchase (CGP). Surely there are more ? With the old test we were able to source quite a lot of mock papers.

Thanks for any advice.
kenyancowgirl

Re: The new 11+ test - Help for someone who knew the old tes

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Have a look around Birmingham/Warwickshire and Gloucestershire as they are all CEM areas too and there is a lot of information in their areas on here - especially in stickies at the top.

Best preparation is a lot of reading and understanding of words, antonyms and synonyms feature a lot. Also mental maths (Schofield and Sim was all we used for maths prep - 2 boys super-selective GS via CEM test). Practice super quick and accurate recall of times tables and teach your child about moving on if they can't answer a question but to always have a guess if it is multiple choice!
scary mum

Re: The new 11+ test - Help for someone who knew the old tes

Post by scary mum »

Try this sticky?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=30079" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now