2014 Bucks exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SingleDad

Re: 2014 Bucks exam

Post by SingleDad »

CEM timings, as mentioned a few times here, are incredibly aggressive. I can't imagine how all the questions can be answered both accurately and in time.

My daughter found the test today tough too. There were many words that she didn't understand and she said that the Cloze and Comprehension is harder than anything we'd practiced at home. At home we've used the Bond and CGP CEM practice papers as well a host of other material from FPTP and other providers, so the 11+ today must have very tough indeed!
helping_hand

Post by helping_hand »

actual words "I know they are testing for academic levels but the time given was absolutely ridiculous, who thought up these tests and agreed on the timings ... perhaps they should have a go. Bet they won't be able to complete all of it either!" - from the mouth of babes :lol:

quote]

Absolutely Right, CEM should try these tests on themselves!

Its the same story at home, some sections were very tight on timing...All I could say to him was shrug it off and move on...You have done your best and there is nothing more I would want you to do....gave him a good lunch and then packed him off to school so that he cant ponder over the test!
Dibsie

Post by Dibsie »

Getting anything out of my son is like trying to get blood out of a stone. Apparently it was ok. He guessed some and didn't have time to finish some. He's done his best and that's all we can ask of him. Me, I'm just glad the d*mn thing's over!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Worth noting that the boy who cried most from school last year, got a very good mark.

Bracing myself to watch kungfu foo panda (again) in the posh living room, with chocolate and olives for his chosen snacks!

When son number two lost his first appeal, they wrote that his eyesight problem could not in their opinion have affected his work enough to be seven points below a pass, even with full optometrist reports. :shock: In my complaint I asked how anyone could read 200 questions and a written passage in less than two hours, work them out and find the correct answer boxes, when the words looked like the paper was under a foot of moving water! I refrained ftom asking them to blooming well try it! Thankfully the second appeal team were a bit more intelligent!

Timings are ferocious, if they are not fast readers, for whatever reason, they cone unstuck. :cry:

Son number three a happy bunny, he thinks he scored about 70, but did not panic, did not cry and is glad it is all over....job done! Obviously I hope he gets his target 100, but if he doesn't, he doesn't. I had a very long, very boring breakdown in the car up Marlow hill to collect his bruv, (he instigated the discussion and waffled on and on) but obviously....Shhhhh!
grtmum

Post by grtmum »

"actual words "I know they are testing for academic levels but the time given was absolutely ridiculous, who thought up these tests and agreed on the timings ... perhaps they should have a go. Bet they won't be able to complete all of it either!" - from the mouth of babes

quote]

Absolutely Right, CEM should try these tests on themselves!"

You are absolutely right. My ds came saying he couldn't finish non verbal in time. The timed sessions are ridiculously aggressive. Cem should try them on themselves, then they comprehend the pain of 10 year olds. I felt it too much. :(
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

DD seems quite happy - she said one paper seemed harder to her than the other, and that the timings were very pressured and in some cases ridiculous! Didn't finish some elements of one paper so a few guesses.

But she seems fine - hope everyone gets the result we all want!

Off to play a game of Rapidough (whatever that is!) now!! :D
gameon

Post by gameon »

Same story in my household. He said it was ok. I am sure he did his best and that's all I want!!! I hope everyone gets the results they are hoping.
misspiggy

Post by misspiggy »

Mine came home happy. It was a difficult test..... the first paper appeared to be easier than the second according to her. She had to guess a few on a particular section due to timing issues. On one section she had never come across some of the words so had to guess. She gave me a section by section review of number of questions per section and what they entailed (add to that one of the boys in the class counted the number of questions from each of the multiple choice sheets), we've made our own guesses on how many she got wrong on each section. does anyone know what the average percentage mark (taking into account standardisation) was last year to reach the magic 121?

She got a big treat for all the hard work she's put in over the past few months. The bond between us has definitely strengthened simply because of the amount of time I have spent with her (acting out some of the words provided us with some good laughs!). Her making fun of me spending too long on trying to figure out the answer to some NVR's and me trying to teach her long division via you tube videos because I couldn't remember how to do them :oops:
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

misspiggy, well done to your daughter, my DD and her two friends who sat it the same time had a similar experience to yours although all 3 had to guess a few due to the very tight timing! On one section my DD thinks it may have been 4 or 5!
DD hasn't a clue how many questions there were, can you enlighten me!

Sorry can't help with the % question, it all depends on the standardisation which takes a few things into account such as age, overall number of children, how hard/easy, how many finished etc etc

Quite a few children are saying the second paper was harder!

Very best of luck to all
X
Daddy123

Post by Daddy123 »

Finally all over and everyone had a good sleep...
Good luck to all....
I too agree that there is NO logic behind the extreme timings used by CEM.
Most kids are guessing 3-5 questions in some sections and it becomes a lottery.
Why can't they have sensible timings atleast in future, though I am done with my 2 DC's.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now