Disastrously low score - re-mark???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
anotherdad

Re: Disastrously low score - re-mark???

Post by anotherdad »

My daughter didn't qualify at 11+ (under the old system) and did extremely well at an upper school in year 7. I can recommend the 12+ system because it does give parents a chance to see how their child settles in to year 7 and an early indication (and I accept that it's only an indication) of how the school keeps challenging children of higher ability at that age. The problem with the 12+ of course is the postcode and places lottery that goes with it. My daughter's experience was that where she wasn't able to work at the required speed and accuracy of the 11+, sitting the 12+ around 16 months later was a different story. She finished the test with time to spare and was almost at the old maximum of 141. We did a little bit of preparation for the 12+ but the difference in working speed simply came with age.
sunshineonarainyday

Post by sunshineonarainyday »

That's good to hear, my child will have to go to St Michael's in High Wycombe so I do hope that it works the same way.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Equally, you might find your DC, and you, are very happy with the upper school and decide against the 12+ and/or changing to a GS for Sixth Form – both of which my DD has done :D
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Rob Clark wrote:Equally, you might find your DC, and you, are very happy with the upper school and decide against the 12+ and/or changing to a GS for Sixth Form – both of which my DD has done :D
Indeed. I think that's why I like the system because when we went through it, there was no commitment until the point at which (assuming you sat the test and achieved the qualifying score), you were offered the place. We registered in September of year 7 as a precaution, knowing we could withdraw from the process at any point. My daughter was happy in her upper school and we really had a tough decision to take but by the time we knew the GS place was available in early May, we had a pretty strong indication over two full terms that the school would struggle to keep the more able students challenged. That has since been mentioned in the particular school's Ofsted report but that is just one school.

I very much subscribe to the "grammar school if suitable, but not at any cost" view. Don't disrupt your child's important year 7 by distracting them with thoughts of changing schools. It will make it difficult for them to settle and make friends if they have it in their minds that they might not stay beyond that year. My daughter didn't know we had registered her for the 12+ until the week before the test in February when we told her and asked her to do some practice papers. We told her on the Saturday morning of the test that she was taking it - she had no idea when the test date was - so she was relaxed. She was also very good and didn't tell any of her friends or teachers about the 12+ until we knew that she had qualified and that a place was available. Again, it would have made her time in year 7 very odd.
1lurker

Post by 1lurker »

The link BCC have given me (multiple times) to request / pay for a remark doesnt work and brings up an error message.

We have been told, 'just keep trying, it will work eventually', 'the ITdepartment dont know what the problem is' and finally if we want a remark we would have to 'write a letter enclosing a cheque for £15'

Has anyone else had a problem?

Post edited by Moderator.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

No I paid yesterday online, could you pay over the phone? It might be quicker than a cheque if you are going to do a selection review.

I paid for the test to be remarked then I had a sinking feeling what if ds2 LOSES marks instead of gaining?!
1lurker

Post by 1lurker »

Was it the same link? It is really frustrating!

Yes I know the feeling... I am not convinced they would own up to a major error, even if they found one! I presume they are essentially checking a scanned copy of the original? My DD had a habit of marking the paper very hard, making rubbing out a messy process... so i expect it has already been checked by a real person!
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Yes it was the same link. Hopeit works for you, otherwise ring them up.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

BCC are having some issues with their website. If you are still having trouble, I suggest you call the Admissions team on 01296 383250.

Snail mail and a cheque may be the best alternative!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now