Royal Grammar v Dr Challoners

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
malkbk

Royal Grammar v Dr Challoners

Post by malkbk »

I would be very grateful for any posts regarding these two schools.Can anyone with children at these schools give me an insight into the culture of each. My son is above average but not top of the class in just about everything. He really enjoys Drama ,Science,Geography and History and does not like English! Not very sporty either. I am planning a visit to both schools if they will let me go round (son in year5) but some pointers from experienced parents would come in very handy.
many thanks in advance
Barbara
hugh

Post by hugh »

Our son is not at all sporty and although Challoner's has a strong sporting tradition, he doesn't feel as pressured by it as he did at his old school. In fact he has even enjoyed to odd games/PE lesson since starting there!

As for English, he's in year 8 and on his second Challoner's English teacher, and I'm sorry to say that the first was very poor indeed for lots of reasons, and whilst this year's one is getting them to do challenging work, he isn't quite getting the boys on side, which is sapping my son's enthusiasm for the subject soemwhat.

But no school is perfect and in general we're very happy with Challoner's.
hugh

Post by hugh »

Just realised you also asked about "culture". Challoner's, at least my son's class, is pretty competitive and academic, but in a good way. Discipline also seems to be very good and in general, when you see the boys out of school, they are mostly a good mannered bunch.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

The word of mouth is that Dr Challoner's is a more competitive environment than RGS, and this suits some kids better than others. Just a rumour...
hugh

Post by hugh »

But how many people who start or propogate this "rumour" have DIRECT experience of both, I wonder?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

I fully agree, hugh.
I just thought that it was worse mentioning as something to look into.
chilD

Re: Royal Grammar v Dr Challoners

Post by chilD »

I am aware of some older posts on this topic and no doubt that both of them are equally great schools. However, in your opinion what are the key differences between these two?
C13

Post by C13 »

I am also interested in this comparison, because I have read a slightly older report from the Financial Times that noted that in the South Bucks area, Chesham and RGS often have some openings (perhaps this is no longer the case). Challoners I believe is always oversubscribed. Given the schools' similarities, I wondered why RGS would have openings - is it because in that catchment area that many families send their boys to independent schools, perhaps?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Where do you live? Their catchments are different ... which one are you likely to be allocated?
meme2

Post by meme2 »

hello - my good friend lives in fulmer and her DS passed - is it likely her son would get into Challoners or RGS?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now