RESULTS DAY 17TH OCTOBER: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
indiemom

Re: RESULTS DAY 17TH OCTOBER: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Post by indiemom »

lovebooks wrote:Against all odds (Aspergers and youngest in his age group) our son passed. Without revealing the results (I read the forum rules!) I would like to leave the post here as a proof and testimony for all parents of special needs children. Our son visired one of the Bucks GS on an open day in September last year. He loved it and wanted to give it a go, and we were extremely reluctant to put him through the preparation process (he had group tuition) for fear a low score would kill his last bit of confidence. The entire year we lived with the bitter taste of remorse and guilt for making a bad choice. We were told off by the school teacher for even mentioning the school to him. So we decided to see all the other schools available and pretended all the time that we had no hopes for the GS. Slowly talked our son out of a GS... After reading the results on Friday afternoon, our son asked us, in a very reproachful tone why we never believed in him: "You spent all this time making plans for me to go to all the other schools, but never allowed for me getting a passing score You did not trust me, did you!!" This sudden growth in maturity and confidence from a child whose social skills are nearly zero has shocked us as parents, just like the score he got, in fact. We will be forever proud of his results, but also embarrassed for not believing in him. Well done to all those who got the result they wanted and good luck to those who will appeal. All I can say... you never know!
what a wonderful and inspiring story @lovebooks, brought tears in my eyes.

My heartfelt congratulations to your DS and your family. What an achievement.

I am sure this story will inspire lot of other kids/ parents to try and achieve their full potential.

Well done to all of you. Keep encouraging him a lot and he will go far.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I intend on sticking around but am not the best at talking so I probably won't post much! If there is anything I feel will be of use I'll chip in.
Unlike many of us :) Come on, join in, you will be welcome.
scary mum
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

I'm truly happy for you and your DS, Lovebooks. What a wonderful and deserved result. Also delighted for you, SB3.

I am not sure I agree on the amount of tutoring suggested. What has surprised me with the results I know of, is that the children you would expect to qualify got through. Nearly all the DC I know of received tuition but it did not seem to change those who you would guess would have the best chance to thrive and cope with a grammar environment.

I have been on both sides of the fence in this story with one DC at upper and another DC just qualified. I know many very bright children who are at uppers and I also know how disappointing and sometimes upsetting it can be when you have a child who is bright and yet does not achieve the qualifying score. It can feel like a real rejection at the time.
The arbitrary cut off point at 121 also can be extremely harsh to take.

However, a year or two on, I find most of the DC are thriving in their schools and all seems to have worked out OK. I personally am not at all in favour of this apartheid of schools here in Bucks, but you make the best of it what you can.

I wouldn't like to see a massive increase in tutoring in order for children to get through this exam. Sadly, I fear that is taking place but I'm not sure, from the DC I know, it has actually altered the results. The children certainly do need to prep for the possible types of questions, the horrendous timing, and to continue to read, read and read. There are a few types of practice papers available such as those by CGP. I personally wouldn't recommend two years of tutoring, though.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now