The OoC argument - Results day 17th October

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scary mum

Re: The OoC argument - Results day 17th October

Post by scary mum »

I thought CEM had some kind of policy whereby only the first attempt a child makes at one of their exams is counted, wherever they sit it? Doesn't that make using one area's exam as a 'mock' utterly pointless?
"Partly" is the answer to that. Only where they share an exam. Bucks have commissioned their very own, making it a suitable mock for the traveling hordes :)
scary mum
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

You will end up in Bucks with a hierarchy of grammars like we have here in Glos - and then they will go the whole hog and require different scores for each
Interestingly Amber, we did have a situation more akin to this many years ago when DCGS (and possibly DCHS too, though I stand to be corrected on that) required more than the 121 pass mark – I think they wanted 127.

I'm not quite sure why this was abandoned, possibly it was ruled illegal, but in any case the current, excellent headmaster of DCGS was not in favour – even though his school benefited from it – and it was stopped about a decade ago.

My DC are a little way beyond this affecting them now, but I still would not be in favour of its return.
chilledsonnervousdad

Post by chilledsonnervousdad »

southbucks3 wrote:perhaps some of those in catchment boys that missed by a few points will watch excitedly as others take a position in the school next to their brother in year 9 who is doing really well, but knows he isn't brighter than his little bruv and cannot understand why this is happening. The bruvs combined nose dive in confidence won't affect their family at all as they will simply unite in accepting that things change. The eldest brother will never utter the words "but I don't deserve my place either then."
An answer to the brothers could be that it is becoming more competitive. One needs to run harder.
HalsGal

Post by HalsGal »

Why does everyone keep commenting on 'leafy Bucks'? Are we the only county with trees? :wink:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

HalsGal wrote:Why does everyone keep commenting on 'leafy Bucks'? Are we the only county with trees? :wink:
For some reason, it's how it is always referred to, no idea why (I did google it, to see if I could find it's origins, but to no avail).
scary mum
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

HalsGal wrote:Why does everyone keep commenting on 'leafy Bucks'? Are we the only county with trees? :wink:
Yes we are :wink: other counties had their trees removed along with their grammar schools when comprehensive education was introduced in the late 60's. Maybe it's our trees these OOC sitters are after not our schools :lol:
HalsGal

Post by HalsGal »

To be fair, my garden is covered in leaves, particularly after the wind this morning. :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

My mother told me years ago that 'you have to be very wealthy to live in Buckinghamshire'. I think maybe because it sounds a bit like Buckingham Palace.

I seem to have quite a lot of leaves in my garden today too - they must have blown an awfully long way west. We have supertrees here, not just trees - and they don't shed their leaves or anything as common as that.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I think people have a similar misguided view of Gloucestershire Amber based on the Cotswolds :lol:. House prices here are :shock: and getting worse I believe.
tootired

Post by tootired »

chilledsonnervousdad wrote:
southbucks3 wrote:perhaps some of those in catchment boys that missed by a few points will watch excitedly as others take a position in the school next to their brother in year 9 who is doing really well, but knows he isn't brighter than his little bruv and cannot understand why this is happening. The bruvs combined nose dive in confidence won't affect their family at all as they will simply unite in accepting that things change. The eldest brother will never utter the words "but I don't deserve my place either then."
An answer to the brothers could be that it is becoming more competitive. One needs to run harder.
In this scenario the irresponsible parents are quite clearly to blame for subjecting such weak willed children to the 11+ environment. They should have been wrapped up in cotton wool and never exposed to the truth that life is competitive. This way such a confidence sapping scenario would be eliminated. Simples
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now