The OoC argument - Results day 17th October

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chilledsonnervousdad

The OoC argument - Results day 17th October

Post by chilledsonnervousdad »

DS has a fantastic score. Fingers crossed for Latymer next week.
scary mum

Re: RESULTS DAY 17TH OCTOBER: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Post by scary mum »

chilledsonnervousdad wrote:DS has a fantastic score. Fingers crossed for Latymer next week.
Not interested in your DC attending a school in Bucks, then? I'm sure everyone here will be thrilled for you.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Chilledsonnervousdad - are you hoping for a gold Blue Peter badge for 5 11+ qualification scores?

:shock:
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

DS has a fantastic score. Fingers crossed for Latymer next week
Can I just ask you why your DS sat the Bucks exam? Why would you expect parents with children desperately keen to get into a Bucks GS which they live near to be pleased for you artificially raising the bar in this way? Or do you have a genuine intention to move house?
mad?

Post by mad? »

Rob Clark wrote:
Can I just ask you why your DS sat the Bucks exam? Why would you expect parents with children desperately keen to get into a Bucks GS which they live near to be pleased for you artificially raising the bar in this way? Or do you have a genuine intention to move house?
Rob, Chilledsonnutbagdad lacks faith in poor DS so much that he has him DC sit exams across the country. He appears, IMO, not to expect anyone to be pleased and not give a hoot about it anyway.
mad?
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

mad? wrote:
Rob Clark wrote:
Rob, Chilledsonnutbagdad lacks faith in poor DS so much that he has him DC sit exams across the country. He appears, IMO, not to expect anyone to be pleased and not give a hoot about it anyway.
It looks like aks2621 from Norfolk has done the same. It's no wind-up. These people are, as someone said earlier, bad mannered and clearly unable to read admission policies. The Bucks system is different from others and it's just plain ignorant to not bother to find out before you trek across the country yet again to make your child sit an exam.

Anyway, rant over...

Absolutely huge congratulations to you and son no 3, SB3 - and of course to all the other inside-Bucks and just-outside-Bucks qualifiers.
anotherdad

Re: Outside county, which schools can offer place

Post by anotherdad »

aks2621 wrote:Hi All,

We live in Norfolk and today, found out that the DD has cleared the exam. We are not sure which school can offer her place at her score
Your catchment school, perhaps?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

bucksdaddy wrote:I can also bring some good in county news with DD bouncing around.

I also now feel I am able to say how dismayed I have been by some of the posts on this thread from OOC parents who clearly do not really understand the Bucks selection process and the allocation system. I can only conclude that their DC have either taken the 11+ as a practice test, second chance or shot to nothing.

As Rob said this has a massive knock-on negative impact on Bucks children who really really really want to go to their local Bucks school, would flourish at Grammar school, perhaps have a shorter trip to school and perhaps join a sibling at the same school.

I absolutely support the choice of near OOC parents who really want their DC to go to a Bucks school, and do the research, having that chance, but for "well" OOC parents to use the system in this way realty winds me up! Sorry if that view offends but it is how I feel.

I really hope that the local Bucks (edge of Bucks) children get the opportunity they deserve and if significant numbers of OOC children do not accept places that selection reviews are carried out effectively to give those borderline Bucks children the opportunity they deserve.
Well said. The system being abused in this way is bad enough, without total plums expecting congratulations for doing so.
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

anotherdad wrote:
bucksdaddy wrote:I can also bring some good in county news with DD bouncing around.

I also now feel I am able to say how dismayed I have been by some of the posts on this thread from OOC parents who clearly do not really understand the Bucks selection process and the allocation system. I can only conclude that their DC have either taken the 11+ as a practice test, second chance or shot to nothing.

As Rob said this has a massive knock-on negative impact on Bucks children who really really really want to go to their local Bucks school, would flourish at Grammar school, perhaps have a shorter trip to school and perhaps join a sibling at the same school.

I absolutely support the choice of near OOC parents who really want their DC to go to a Bucks school, and do the research, having that chance, but for "well" OOC parents to use the system in this way realty winds me up! Sorry if that view offends but it is how I feel.

I really hope that the local Bucks (edge of Bucks) children get the opportunity they deserve and if significant numbers of OOC children do not accept places that selection reviews are carried out effectively to give those borderline Bucks children the opportunity they deserve.
Well said. The system being abused in this way is bad enough, without total plums expecting congratulations for doing so.
I echo that! My very able DD has narrowly missed the qualifying mark to go to the same GS her older, and similarly able sister goes to - so now we have to endure the whole review system. I just hope we are successful! And I wish the education tourists would go play their games elsewhere! :evil:
chilledsonnervousdad

Post by chilledsonnervousdad »

Rob Clark wrote:
Sure Rob. I will answer it with complete honesty and with the assumption that this question is without malice – notwithstanding the rather brusque tone.

There are a couple of reasons for my child having to go through this rigmarole. One, we have to move house and are open to moving to another area and that could be Bucks, Bexley, Sutton, or another place in Enfield.
Two, we neither have a terribly bright child nor enough money to get him tutored. If only this wasn’t enough, our agony was compounded when we started on the 11plus journey late – at least by the average standards that one reads on the post here – and hence had to make our DS write a few exams, hope that one would click and then move.
Three, the key fact worth bearing in mind is that it is only sometime in this year that the catchment area rule for Bucks has been amended. We were very interested in Royal Grammar and SWBGS. For these two schools, I have a detailed note from Bucks council confirming that one could move in to the area anytime up to the 14th of November for admission in the year 2015. Hence, there was no reason to not sit the test. It is only this month that I realised, much to my chagrin, that they had moved the goalpost since then.

I realise that people living in the leafiest borough of ‘em all feel a sense of entitlement and that gives them the right to demand an explanation as soon as they suspect someone might have stepped in.
Last edited by chilledsonnervousdad on Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now