Please reassure me!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Panic.com

Please reassure me!

Post by Panic.com »

Dear All,

I have been a lurker for the past few months and have found this forum incredibly helpful, so thank you.

I live in Herts, close to the Bucks border.

Prior to results our first choice school was Chesham, followed by Parmiters, WBGS, Ricky.

My DS sat the Bucks 11+ and the Watford consortium exam.

He has passed the 11+ but got an unexpected and disappointingly low score of 211 in the Watford exams. This obviously writes off the WBGS etc..

Just wondering what our best move is now? Is there any point (if possible?) trying to investigate/appeal his low score in the consortium exams? They were our back up plan, with Chesham being first choice, but I am worried that all our eggs are now in one basket...

We live 9.6 miles away by driving. Looking at previous allocations I think we are in with a reasonable chance of a space?

Our local non consortium schools are Francis Coombe and then Kings Langley. I would be very unhappy with him attending these. I guess there is the possibility of applying to the grammars based in Aylesbury that seem to award places to all those who apply... but that would result in 80miles worth of school run per day :shock: , or a house move,... which isn't an impossibility but I would rather avoid if possible...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Or a large brandy would do! :lol:

Thank you
kittymum

Re: Please reassure me!

Post by kittymum »

Have the Brandy - it's never too early :lol: :lol:

I can't give you detailed specific advice but I would say don't embark on an 80 mile round trip! My ds has just started in year 7 - we live 5 miles from the school - he is exhausted at the end of the school day and the day is plenty long enough as it is. You have a lot of good schools in Herts, if you were unsuccessful with Chesham I'm sure there would be a good local alternative. Guest55 has made some excellent points re long distance travel (and as a Bucks grammar school teacher she speaks from experience!)
southbucks3

Re: Please reassure me!

Post by southbucks3 »

The distance is measured as the crow flies, be it over ravine or swamp so probably shorter still. I would be fairly confident that your ds would get a place at chesham, although getting more popular it still had places in the August following allocations last year, even though it was full on first round after final rounds it had empty seats.

And breath...... :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now