RGS vs JHGS - how to choose?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rob Clark

Re: RGS vs JHGS - how to choose?

Post by Rob Clark »

He did mention the football but doesn't really commit, it would be fantastic if the new Head (I hope he is reading this!) could bring it in as a serious sport.
I wouldn't bet on that, RGS is a rugby school through and through. I doubt the governors would have appointed a head who wasn't committed to retaining that.

In rugby RGS is the most successful school in the country at U15 level, I doubt they're going to allow that to be diluted by letting the boys football… :lol:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Getting ready with ds3 to tour jh this morning, we never tour the gs with our boys until they have their results, just our way, I am feeling a bit emotional, so silly, it's just a school. I think it's more about my youngest boys being together again come September, the eldest is now far too cool to hang around with his bruvs too much, but middle son is thrilled. I won't lie, I am v proud too, best I watch out or will fall off my heels as I walk round. :lol:
Is this gloating? I am so sorry if it is, just sharing really as I am quite nervous too, I hope he likes it more than rgs. He saw rgs when eldest started and he was dragged round with me on the coffee morning and several times since, I will take him again later today though.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

It is obviously not gloating sb3 so hush up now - we have all been through this wretched journey of yours and a collective sigh of relief was heard across the nation, when we got DS3s news.

I am sure he will love JHS as he is well suited (as, apparently, are you...suited and booted!!) :lol:

...don't slip....!!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

southbucks3 wrote:Getting ready with ds3 to tour jh this morning, we never tour the gs with our boys until they have their results, just our way, I am feeling a bit emotional, so silly, it's just a school. I think it's more about my youngest boys being together again come September, the eldest is now far too cool to hang around with his bruvs too much, but middle son is thrilled. I won't lie, I am v proud too, best I watch out or will fall off my heels as I walk round. :lol:
Is this gloating? I am so sorry if it is, just sharing really as I am quite nervous too, I hope he likes it more than rgs. He saw rgs when eldest started and he was dragged round with me on the coffee morning and several times since, I will take him again later today though.
I think I may have something in my eye...
scary mum
Garnett

Post by Garnett »

southbucks3 wrote:Getting ready with ds3 to tour jh this morning, we never tour the gs with our boys until they have their results, just our way, I am feeling a bit emotional, so silly, it's just a school. I think it's more about my youngest boys being together again come September, the eldest is now far too cool to hang around with his bruvs too much, but middle son is thrilled. I won't lie, I am v proud too, best I watch out or will fall off my heels as I walk round. :lol:
I think he's going to like it!
Hope it has all gone well.
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

SB3 what did you think? We have seen both this week and I think we will go for RGS, my DS said it seemed more organised :lol:

I looked around for anyone falling over but must have missed you :lol:
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

Not gloating. Lovely :)
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Jh won! By a hairs width!

Not because of brotherly love, the amazing sports facilities or friendly atmosphere...nope...
Rgs take note, get a 3D printer and show the kids looking round 3D printed frogs. :lol: Oh, the pet snake in the science dept helped too!

Both schools are great, he liked both in honesty, his bruvs have been selling their schools well, a nice choice to have to make.
He still thinks the misbourne has the best catering facilities in the area though...I am inclined to agree, it did look v good.

Thank you all for your lovely encouragement.
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

SB3 it must be good to have it decided as tricky with one in each school :D

The traffic this morning going up the hill made me have every thing crossed my DS would decide on RGS :lol:
HalsGal

Post by HalsGal »

That traffic this morning was shocking, I pointed it out to DS for the 'cons' list! :D

So our tour at JH this morning was, quite disappointing. We didn't get to see any of the new parts of the school or the fab new production suite that DS had seen last time. I was really disappointed. We went to RGS afterwards and were shown round by an articulate, well mannered 6th former who told us so much about the school that he had DS saying 'I think RGS is the winner' by half way round. I do think the schools need to think carefully about how they do the tours and who takes potential pupils/parents round, it makes such an impact.

I know from my DS and DH and many friends that what I saw this morning is not a true representation of the JH but, truthfully, it didn't 'sell' the school well. :(

Anyway, we shall chat about it tonight and hopefully come to a decision. Fingers crossed it will be the right one wherever he ends up.
Last edited by HalsGal on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.