Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dino2003

Selection review help needed

Post by dino2003 »

Hi
I am new to this forum.
But reading most of the post regularly after result.
My son scored 117 in bucks exam.
The only bucks school we come in catchment in burnham. I am thinking for selection review and already have requested the review pack from bucks.
My son is 5c in english reading. 4A in writing and 5B in maths at the moment.
His teacher told us in last meeting that we are aiming for 5A in english and level 6 in maths.
Few days before the exam he got an allergic rash . Which initially I thought is chicken box but it was not.
I gave him piriton which is highly sedative.
He couldn't study properly in last days of his exam.
I stopped the medicine 2 days before exam despite he still have some itchy discomfort. Even during the exam he said his feet were itchy. He was off from school for whole one week including the exam days.
He didn't go to Gp as I myself is doctor and treated him as I don't want to waste time for appoinment.
School asked me for gp letter as he was off and I told them that I treated him at home. So they asked me to write a letter and submit that at school. Which I did and I have its photocopy.
My question is it worth going for selection review.
And are these evidence sufficient enough or do I need more.
Please help me with ur advise.
anotherdad

Re: Selection review help needed

Post by anotherdad »

Firstly, well done on a good result. 117 is an excellent score, even if it's not a qualifying score.

Others will contribute I'm sure, but it's the academic evidence which is most important. I don't think a review panel would seriously consider the medical circumstances because a) the test is not supposed to be studied for, so your son was not disadvantaged by not being able to study, b) you didn't seek medical advice so there is no independent verification of your son's condition, c) Piriton a few days before the test is unlikely to have any effect on the test day itself and d) you allowed him to take the test. The guidance is quite clear that if your child is unwell, they should sit the test at a later date. Allowing him to sit the test suggests that he was fit to do so.

It's worth going to review if you believe that your son is suited to a grammar school and if the academic evidence supports that view. Without it, no amount of arguably tenuous and non-verifiable medical evidence will help you succeed.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Whether a review panel would consider the circumstances as 'exceptional' is very debatable!
See: 'Extenuating circumstances'
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I agree with anotherdad - the focus needs to be mainly on academic evidence.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
dino2003

Post by dino2003 »

Thanks for the reply.
Should I skip about my son allergic rash. Or should I me mention it slightly.
I will try to focus more on his academic ability.
My second fear is what if his class teacher or head teacher refuse to give us written proof of his levels or refuse to give any recommendation.
In that case what should I do.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

dino2003 wrote:Thanks for the reply.
Should I skip about my son allergic rash. Or should I me mention it slightly.
I think it's worth a very brief mention. Make it a minor point at the end.
My second fear is what if his class teacher or head teacher refuse to give us written proof of his levels or refuse to give any recommendation.
In that case what should I do.
If you're out of county, and if this is not a partner school, then the headteacher is under no obligation to provide a recommendation or support a review/appeal.

However, you are legally entitled to a copy of any information in your son's school record, including SATs levels.

Have you read the Q&As yet?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
dino2003

Post by dino2003 »

Thanks million.
That is very helpful.
dino2003

Re: Bucks Selection Review success rates 2013 & 2014

Post by dino2003 »

Thanks it gives hope....
I was so down this afternoon after having a meeting with my son class teacher.
My son is 5C in reading , 5C grammer and 5B in maths when assessed last week.
Still waiting for his writing level.....which in my guess will be 4B or 4A
When I asked him that can he fill the selection review form. He was reluctant as he think my son is not for grammer. That was quite blunt for me .
He was unaware of his levels or may be mixing it up with other child I guess.
Anyway he took the form. I don't know what he will put in the form.
Already in alot of distress with all that selection review and his remarks not a top league for grammer is quite upsetting.
Is 5C Or 5B not sufficient enough for grammer capability.
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Dino2003

Don't be down we all feel the same, it really feels like a lottery, you mentioned the class teacher? What did the HT say, in our school it's the HT that makes the recommendation ie. 1:1, 1:2 etc. level 5's are good and his writing I would say is fine too. Did you ask yhe class teacher why he feels he's not suited to a GS? Good luck, I know it's stressful, a few of us on here are in the same boat. Stay strong. Dolly x
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Dollydripmat wrote:Dino2003

Don't be down we all feel the same, it really feels like a lottery, you mentioned the class teacher? What did the HT say, in our school it's the HT that makes the recommendation ie. 1:1, 1:2 etc. level 5's are good and his writing I would say is fine too. Did you ask yhe class teacher why he feels he's not suited to a GS? Good luck, I know it's stressful, a few of us on here are in the same boat. Stay strong. Dolly x
Yes - I am here too! It is a lottery - all you can do is to try your best, push the teachers to write what you need, challenge their opinions when appropriate. It is the head who does the recc - I would go and see them if you have not already. Get them to justify what they write - if they can't then maybe they will change it if you ask.

And then try to construct a plan B and even a plan C if it doesn't work out at review. Thats what I have been doing - and am now feeling a lot more positive. I have to keep reminding myself that it will work out - no-one has died or got some horrible incurable disease! :roll: :oops:

We're all here to support each other!
dino2003

Teacher reassessment

Post by dino2003 »

Just a quick question as I have been posting my concerns on other topics.
We got our selection review form filled by class teacher with current levels of
Maths 5B expected 5A
Reading 5C expected 5A
Writing 4C expected 4A.
I am not happy with his writing level which obviously put hindrence in wining appeal or selection review.
The day before I talked to his teacher he said he is on 4B. And he was very reluctant to recommend my son for grammer.
My son have seen his writing level as 4B in teacher computer.
But when he filled in the form he put 4c .
That seems to be a bit dogy to me.....and when u asked him have u assessed him he said yes and moved away quickly. I must say he is very unsupportive. And clearly shows a dislike which I felt.
My question is should I see the head teacher and request for reassessing.
Or that will further irritate his class teacher.
I have very short time to submit the review papers. Is it worth asking as that is my son future.
Or should I leave as it is. Coz 4B means predicted 5C and that make my case strong otherwise selection panel can easily refuse my case as writing prediction is 4A. Not in 5.....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now