Chesham - catchment grammar schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cosmofox

Post by cosmofox »

Yep all regg'd now.

Yes I had heard similar from other parents.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Welcome Cosmofox!

Nice username. :D
cosmofox

Post by cosmofox »

Lol thankyou :D

So Sally-Anne, can you fill me in on my lack of knowledge in this area?

"I apologise for my naivety here but if those 2 schools are getting 38% and 50% respectively what are the other 62% and 50% going on to do after GCSE stage?"
hugh

Post by hugh »

We are going to put The Misbourne as 1st choice followed by the Hemel Hempstead school
But as you're putting 2 grammars first and second, HH school is really 4th. As it's the only half decent school in Hemel, I doubt you'd have any chance at all of a place there when you live in Chesham. I know plenty who live in Hemel fail to get a place because they live too far away. So frankly, I think it would be a wasted choice.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

cosmofox wrote:Lol thankyou :D

So Sally-Anne, can you fill me in on my lack of knowledge in this area?

"I apologise for my naivety here but if those 2 schools are getting 38% and 50% respectively what are the other 62% and 50% going on to do after GCSE stage?"
Hi Cosmofox

Not entirely clear which two schools you are referring to (Chesham Park being one?), but for Upper Schools in general, the very brightest kids will probably transfer to sixth form at GS. Others will stay on for NVQs, some will go to college for academic or vocational training and some will leave full time education. The latter will not be an option in future, of course.

Sally-Anne
hugh

Post by hugh »

The latter will not be an option in future, of course.
I don't think that's quite right, is it? 16 year olds will be able to leave education, but effectively, only if they have a job, because they won't be entitled to any benefits.
cosmofox

Post by cosmofox »

fair point about HH School Hugh, and yes I mean Misbourne is 1st choice after the grammar schools. Seems no point putting Chesham Park down as I really dont want my daughter to go there but its our catchment school so she would go there by default if all other choices were full. So don't really see putting HH will be a waste as I would be leaving it blank anyway. Can't wait for all this to be over! If only we could choose schools after knowing the results! lol
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

hugh wrote:
The latter will not be an option in future, of course.
I don't think that's quite right, is it? 16 year olds will be able to leave education, but effectively, only if they have a job, because they won't be entitled to any benefits.
A job in itself will not allow them to leave - they will need to be in "workplace training" until they are 18. One could argue the difference between that and - say - NVQs until the cows come home! :lol:

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Cosmofox, don't rely on getting Chesham Park by default without putting it as a preference. The allocation is preference driven and you are relying on places being available at the end of the process to be given out to non-preferences should you be unsuccessful in getting your preferences. The way the Chesham Park allocation went in the last 2 years, there is some risk in this.[/quote]
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The LA have to offer you a school - I don't think there is another they would allocate to.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now