RGS vs JHGS - how to choose?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

HalsGal

RGS vs JHGS - how to choose?

Post by HalsGal »

Can anyone help me with honest views on RGS and JHGS? We need to make a decision and all I have heard is RGS very academic and hard nosed and JHGS is much nicer. RGS is much, much closer so preferable to me on that front but these rumours do deter me slightly. I have been to both open evenings but liked both schools. :?
MrsChubbs

Re: RGS vs JHGS - how to choose?

Post by MrsChubbs »

Both are excellent academically, but different in style. Certainly historically RGS seems to have started their boys as they mean to go on from day one. Comparatively lots of homework, high expectations and assessment style than can make some boys feel pressured. It suits some boys who respond well to that style and not others and as many boys haven't been on the receiving end of this style before I don't think you can always tell how they will react. JH also have high expectations, but have a different style. Hard to put finger on what it is, but certainly suited friends son who has a very laid back personality. All achieve, but is down to your and his gut reactions to school. RGS excellent music dept (ex curricular too), obviously rugby (but only if you are very good). JH hockey and football and DT. Don't think you can go wrong with either.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think only you can decide by visiting & talking to pupils who are there - MrsChubbs' view seems very balanced. The problem with asking about one school vs the other is that there will always be those who hate them and those who love them. I'm thinking of the poster asking about WHS & BHS the other day. I know nothing about WHS, but know several who have serious reservations about BHS. Also several who have been thrilled to bits with it. RGS has historically been more sought after and has slightly better results, but in the real world it's probably marginal & down to what style of school will suit your DS.
scary mum
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

:D I have one boy at each!

Rgs is a great school, very pushy and quite a lot of the parents you encounter are pushy too, particularly on the rugby field. :lol: Boys will do well there as that is the focus, but life is not all about results and I do feel it is a little harsh sometimes. The opportunities to join in extra curriculum sport are very limited unless you are at the top of your game. The rugby teams are split into A,B,C the reason for this is so the school can compete with other big rugby schools, who always have three teams, however there is no support st all for the c team, and less for the b team, whilst the a team is heavily supported and trained.
I have a very sporty boy, who is successful so feels ok about the scenario, but the drop out from teams by year 9 is very high. They have one hockey team too.
The the vle is very good, the teachers are up to speed with using technology for ipads.
The rules are very strict,so there is a focus on good behaviour and learning in class, some teachers are brilliant some not so, like in any school. It's easy to get to, no big hill to climb out of town, just a medium sized hill. :lol:

John hampden is incredibly friendly, most importantly they encourage all the boys to be friendly throughout the years, with mixed year clubs and sports groups after school and events that involve all boys. As well as a summer activity week prior to starting at the school and a residential trip a month after to team build year 7.
So far my year seven boy has had similar amounts of homework to rgs and had similar weekly subject assessments, but it's early days yet. He absolutely loves the sport, he fell in love with jh because of all the sports opportunities. He plays a different sport every day of the week, be it in lessons or after school clubs or in matches. Matches are local, they play against friends and club team members, it's friendly and fun, but they obviously still want to win. He also enjoys art hugely, the jh are very proud of their artwork, he is also part of a creative writing lunchtime group. The typical subjects are taught very similarly to rgs as far as I can see, some of his teachers seem a bit clumsy with computer based learning yet, but he won't get his iPad there until spring. The fun he is having keeps everything else flowing along nicely imo.

My third son is making his choice this week, we are pushing him towards jh as we like its atmosphere so much, there is a tour on Thursday morning he will come along with me to have a good look round, can you make that? He has done the rgs tour already last year with his bruv.

Both schools get very high academic results, rgs send more to red bricks if that is your priority.

Decisions decisions.
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

I think RGS will change from Sep with the new head from Chesham Grammar who seems to be very well respected and whilst I am sure Mr Page has done a great job a new head can really make some big changes to a school.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Very true jabba, I am quite excited to see how he will take our boys through the new gcse format, but what's on most people's thoughts is.......football???? :lol: Will they get to play more than the current one inter-form game per year??
HalsGal

Post by HalsGal »

Thank you all for your replies, especially your very detailed one SouthBucks3 - good to hear from someone with a child at both schools.

I am a bit torn. I am selfishly thinking RGS for distance (he could walk home!) and potentially the red bricks :oops: . He's academic but not that competitive, quite laid back really. He doesn't play rugby and loves football and is a very sociable boy which would then suggest JH would be better for him but the journey makes me reluctant. Why drive past RGS to go to another school? :?

Also, I agree with the thinking that the new Head will bring RGS a bit more into the 21st Century (like introducing football!) and so makes me think it might be worth a go. Arrrgh, decisions, decisions!

We are going to see both schools again this Thursday (but I doubt it will make things any clearer) so may see you there SouthBucks3, I'll be wearing a white rose and carrying a copy of the times. :lol:
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

I went to the open morning at RGS on Tuesday and Mr Page seemed tired and not really very engaging :(

He did mention the football but doesn't really commit, it would be fantastic if the new Head (I hope he is reading this!) could bring it in as a serious sport.

I want my DS 2 to go to RGS but he keeps saying about the football at JHGS. SB3 do you know if the rumour I have heard is true that whilst they paly football at JH they only have one competitive team per year that plays against other schools and you have to be very good to get into that team :D
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

jabba7 wrote:I went to the open morning at RGS on Tuesday and Mr Page seemed tired and not really very engaging :(

He did mention the football but doesn't really commit, it would be fantastic if the new Head (I hope he is reading this!) could bring it in as a serious sport.

I want my DS 2 to go to RGS but he keeps saying about the football at JHGS. SB3 do you know if the rumour I have heard is true that whilst they paly football at JH they only have one competitive team per year that plays against other schools and you have to be very good to get into that team :D
Yes this is true.

One footy team, one, maybe two rugby teams depending on kids, one maybe two hockey teams depending on kids.
However Thursday night's there is an all ability footy club, ds totally loves this, he plays for the rugby team and desperately wanted to play footy too....not really do-able as they train during games for their specific teams, the Thursday night's are one of his weekly highlights. Pe swaps between hockey, handball, basket ball etc on a monthly rotation. Basketball club on Wednesday is very popular and all ability too. Hockey squad starts after Feb half term. There is also cross country, squash,badminton, handball, tennis and indoor cricket.
Don't get me wrong, there is another, unsporty side to the school as well. :lol: but you can see why my sport obsessed lad loves it!
I will not lie though, getting him up Marlow hill is a pain,either by driving or the ear bleeding level of whingeing when we make him walk, we are now reluctantly going to be paying for him to get the school bus, even though he won't benefit from it most evenings.
As parents though it's the very open door, friendly but still driven atmosphere at jh that swings it....Oh and the 3d printer of course. :wink: Ds1 would sulk big time if he could read this.... :roll: as if the bruvs don't have enough to argue about!
Jabba, Mr page is tired I think, the recent events really upset him too by all accounts, but he is still a fine leader of course and a lovely person.
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

Thanks SB3 as helpful as always. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now