12+ and 13+ for 2015 admission

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
anotherdad

Re: 12+ and 13+ for 2015 admission

Post by anotherdad »

beth1955 wrote:
ConfusedAylesburyMum wrote:Last year it was CEM exactly the same as the new 11+.

My daughter had about 6 weeks of 1:1's but we didn't do anything else - no homework or going through any books. At was just about showing her what was needed in the test.

I assume harder though? But I guess the extra year gives them maturity….
Not necessarily. Remember, it's a standardised process. Under the old 12+ system, the questions were exactly the same type as in the 11+, but the children had five extra questions and five minutes' less time.
beth1955

Post by beth1955 »

anotherdad wrote:
beth1955 wrote:
ConfusedAylesburyMum wrote:Last year it was CEM exactly the same as the new 11+.

My daughter had about 6 weeks of 1:1's but we didn't do anything else - no homework or going through any books. At was just about showing her what was needed in the test.

I assume harder though? But I guess the extra year gives them maturity….
Not necessarily. Remember, it's a standardised process. Under the old 12+ system, the questions were exactly the same type as in the 11+, but the children had five extra questions and five minutes' less time.
Understand…. I guess just need to use what I have left from last year then. My DS failed on VR so I guess just more reading and vocab. The whole experience has been so traumatising that the idea of going through it again scares me a little.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

beth1955 wrote:Understand…. I guess just need to use what I have left from last year then. My DS failed on VR so I guess just more reading and vocab. The whole experience has been so traumatising that the idea of going through it again scares me a little.
Having been through that route myself, I will offer a few pieces of advice, with the caveat that this is a different system to that which my daughter went through.

Don't keep discussing the 12+ at home. It's important that your son embraces and commits to his school in year 7. If he thinks his stay might be a temporary one, it will be harder to make friends, settle, etc.

Make sure you register when you need to, and use the process to your advantage. Your son may be happy and suited to where he is, in which case, you can withdraw from the process at any stage.

I found that the extra 'brain maturity' my daughter had 15 months after the 11+ helped her work much faster through questions. We did very minimal preparation shortly before the 12+ test (in February) which meant that she did the whole of the first term of year 7 unaware we had even registered her. She settled in well.

Don't tell him when the test will be sat until the last minute. No pressure, no countdown.

It worked for us. Other people have been through the same process and have been so happy with the current school that they have withdrawn and some have not taken up a place even with a qualifying score. There is often an unfounded level of fear of upper schools on here.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Good tips anotherdad. Does the English section include essay writing? The 11plus did not have English, it said verbal reasoning.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Can I just say that I agree with another dad 100%.

Enter your DC for the 12+, then commit totally to the alternative and see how they feel about it having had a term or so at that school. You don't even need to tell your DC about the 12+ if you don't want to, and you can withdraw at any point up until the exam.

DD enjoyed her upper school so much that she decided not to sit the 12+. Wind forward 5 years and she is still enjoying it enough not to switch to the GS for A levels despite comfortably getting the grades to do so.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The Allocation Profile for the schools whose Late Transfer Test is administered by BCC has been published today.
Late transfer allocation summary 2015.doc
(81 KiB) Downloaded 595 times
Kata girl

Post by Kata girl »

Thank you Sally-Anne
You can see how helpful the info is by the high number of downloads.
Trying to stay optimistic :?
Looking forward to seeing the postman tomorrow.
Best wishes to otters ** waiting for news.
** I meant to say 'others' but my predictor made it otters and I decided to keep it like that because the thought of lots of otters waiting for a postman gave me a smile...
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Surely you are nearer than 15 miles in a straight line?
Kata girl

Post by Kata girl »

G55 you are right..well within 15 so I should say ' I am optimistic' !! :)
I will be back here later today with my update.
twinsdad2

Post by twinsdad2 »

Hi,

I am in a tricky situation where one of my DS passed the 12+ and was offered a place, whereas my other DS was short of 2 marks to the magical figure of 121 (Scored 119). What is the possibility of succeeding if i appeal ? I am planning to appeal, what are your suggestions? Anyhelp received much appreciated. Thanks.