12+ and 13+ for 2015 admission

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sally-Anne

Re: 12+ and 13+ for 2015 admission

Post by Sally-Anne »

CGS and JHGS set a joint test (CEM), but the pass mark is different for each school.

RGS isn't CEM at present, although that could change when the current Head of CGS moves to RGS in September. I would also not be surprised if he goes for a single exam alongside CGS and JHGS.

Although the Admissions Policy is already "determined" for 2016 admissions, and cannot in theory be changed, I don't think anyone would complain if a minor change meant children would have to take fewer exams!

A matter of "watch this space", I think.
bucksdad8623

Post by bucksdad8623 »

ccl,
We're in a similar situation to yourself, just outside of catchment for JH and within catchment for RGS. My son sat the JH 12+ this year, passed and was offered a place, we weren't told the score. I shared your concerns that being ooc would mean my DS would have to score highly to be offered a place. Before the results were released for JH, their admissions told me everyone who passed would be offered a place irrespective of where they lived. Being able to set their own pass mark does give a lot of freedom to the school to offer places to whom they want.
If my DS had qualified and was not offered a place because he was ooc I would have appealed and argued the school's admissions policy was discriminatory because we are in catchment for 2 girls grammar schools but only 1 boys. I doubt it would have made much difference but I would have tried my luck.

I know there were in excess of 20 places available this year, my feeling after speaking to admissions at JH was this number was much higher than usual.
We went through the 11+ appeals last year. At the end of May 2014 the school was full but by June more than 20 boys dropped out leaving empty places which weren't fully filled at appeal (only 5 got through). I think last year more out of county boys than usual were offered places due to the lower pass rate amongst Bucks pupils with the new 11+. My theory is that JH were more vulnerable than usual to late drop outs due to the large number of out of county pupils they offered places to.
Good luck.
ccl

Post by ccl »

Thank you, Sally-Anne and bucksdad8623, for your replies and congratulations, bucksdad8623, to your success!!

Yes, it does seem as if y7Sep2014 had more empty seats at JHGS than previous years. I've heard rumours that they had also put an extra class that year (?). Not sure at all how many empty places there will be for y7Sep2015. Will have to ask here in September, I guess. At least it seems as if it might be worth giving 12+ a go.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

When would the information about applying for 12+ test (Y8 2016 admission) be available. Also do you need to apply through the child's school (Bucks) or is the application done directly by the child's parents. This is all new to me. Thanks :)

Moderator: perhaps this thread title could be updated to 2016 admission :) keep the same thread rather than doing a new one.
Heartmum x x x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sch ... dure-2016/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's here ...
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Thanks Guest55 you are a star, as always :) x x x
Heartmum x x x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I have also started a new thread as I was not sure all of this thread is relevant for 2016 entry.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Great :) a double star for you Guest55 :lol: x x
Heartmum x x x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now