What Books

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Road Runner

What Books

Post by Road Runner »

Hi there everyone

As some of you already know I will be embarking on tutoring my daughter in the new year for next years Bucks 11+. In order to be well organised and because I am worried (rather unecessarily I suspect) that there will be a shortage of books I would like to get them now.
Two years ago I tutored my son without much knwledge as I didn't find this site until late so I went to Smiths realised it was a Minefield of books so bought all NFER. I didn't get any Techniqque books so my son and 'I' had to learn as we went which I admit did put more pressure on us. This time I would like to atleast have an idea myslef about how to tackle the questions before expecting my daughter to and although I know alot are straight forward I do to remember alot are not! My son used to struggle with the Code ones and bless him it was him who finally worked out the method himself. Having been looking on the forum recently I am reminded of just how difficult some of the maths ones are too.

I thought if I get some books now I can be looking at them ahead of my daughter which I am sure will help.

Would any of you experts please advise me on what you feel are the best books to buy, any technique books that would help and also in which order to go through them. As I said my daughter will be doing the Bucks test only. I have printed alot of Patricias words and we do already play word games and luckily my daughter loves reading so has always got her head in a book which is why I don't want to start actual tuition until after Xmas.

I realise I have been through this process before so may seem abit odd I should be asking for help but as I said this time I want to really take advantage of all the knowlege on this forum which I hoep will ease the pressure.

Many thanks

Mel
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Mel X

There is a free method a technique course that links into free demonstration material on this site.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/pdf/th ... hnique.pdf

IPS cover the 21 question types in their method a technique guide available from the book shop on this site.

Regards

Mike
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Mel X

As you are probably aware good preparation on all 21 question types and practice of as many papers that are close to the Bucks tests is an important part of the preparation process.

One of the most important things to bare in mind is that Bucks is a single paper pass. The first paper is sat blind, because the content is not known in advance. However, the second paper is sat with the knowledge that the 9 question types that did not appear on the first paper will appear on the second paper. This knowledge allows Preparatory schools and Private Tutors to cram for these 9 question types immediately prior to the second test, giving their students a distinct advantage over those children whose parents are not fully aware of the process.

Regards

Mike
Melx

Post by Melx »

Mike

Am I right in thinking that the first paper contains 12 question types then? Also how do the tutors/teachers know which ones were left out, do they rely on the children telling them.

Mel
duffymoon

Post by duffymoon »

Melx wrote:Mike

Am I right in thinking that the first paper contains 12 question types then? Also how do the tutors/teachers know which ones were left out, do they rely on the children telling them.

Mel
Yes, thats right, you've got to rely on your child telling you which types they did, so you've got to be very confident that your child is 100% sure they remember otherwise you could end putting too much emphasis on revising the types that won't appear. We took the decision not to take this route as we thought that having 9 months upwards of coaching of all types was sufficient to know what to do. Hope we were right :shock:
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel and Duffy moon

Its easier for Tutors to work it out because they have so many children to compare with. Have to say my children 100% came up with the same types.

As a teaser, I will also say that this year the tests were slightly different in the number of types and crossovers.

Will not tell as there are so many children still to take the tests. Will reveal all at a later stage....

With regard to which papers etc, I will at some point put together a new regime [ have to look at some new papers on the market, before I make a decision]

Patricia
MelX

Post by MelX »

Thanks Mike

I will use the technique course on here and will also take my daughter through it along with the demo tests

Duffymoon I don't think I will ask my daughter to worry about what types she doesn't get as feel thats even more pressure on her. I agree with you that with enough tuition she should be able to handle the questions whichever test they come in.

Patricia I will gladly wait and look forward to your reccomendations

Mel
Denise

Post by Denise »

duffymoon wrote:Yes, thats right, you've got to rely on your child telling you which types they did, so you've got to be very confident that your child is 100% sure they remember
Just found this site - a few weeks too late, as I've been coaching my son myself. :cry: But what a great site anyway.

My son certainly couldn't remember what types of question came up on the first paper - all he could come up with was that there was one type he didn't like! I wouldn't have felt safe only letting him practice a few types ahead of the 2nd paper.

Denise
guestAB

Post by guestAB »

This is now all very confusing Patricia, my son has just come back today from his 1st test and is confident what was on it. I have been following this site for a while and understood all 21 types are tested.............????????? So 8 plus 2 crossovers is what I had expected........???????

DO WE NOT RELAY ON THIS AND LOOK AT ALL 21 TYPES AGAIN?????????
guestAB

Post by guestAB »

sorry i meant 9 plus 2 crossovers.............
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now