Commute from Royal Grammar/Chesham School to Central London

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
luvingdad

Commute from Royal Grammar/Chesham School to Central London

Post by luvingdad »

Hi,
My son has qualified in Bucks eleven plus exam and we stay in out of catchment area.

We are planning to apply fro Royal grammar And Chesham area and flexible to relocate near to any of this school.
It would really help if it you can advise how easy it is to commute from any area near to royal grammar school/Chesham to central London. This would help me in deciding the preference.

I tried google maps and was not motivated to see the result. It showed more than one and half hour of one way travel
till London bridge with lot of changes in between. It would help if any of of you actually travel from area near to royal grammar school / Chesham grammar school to Central London.

Many thanks in advance.
Guest55

Re: Commute from Royal Grammar/Chesham School to Central Lon

Post by Guest55 »

Have you checked the distance to RGS? I think it very unlikely you are close enough to get a place.

Chesham GS is increasingly popular but you may be fortunate to get a place.

I think you may need to move nearer or choose another school.
luvingdad

Post by luvingdad »

Thanks Guest 55. My place is 16.3 miles away( straight line) from RGS. The last offer was for the distance 16.137 miles last year . That why hopeful to get an offer.

We can shift near to any of this school but do not have detailed information how easy commute will be from there to central London.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I'm sure everyone appreciates your efforts for your son, but have you considered what is the best school for him, as opposed to a grammar school at any cost? He is clearly bright & should do well wherever he goes. Does he have siblings you need to consider? Do you have ties in the local community?
scary mum
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I am reticent to write this, as you obviously must know where you live but high wycombe to central London even as the crow flies is thirty miles, the m40 is pretty much as the crow flies! Sixteen miles would get you as far as uxbridge, which is still an awful journey, but definitely not central London.
The school would not thank you for encouraging your son to begin his education without being able to commit to after school activities that they consider an essential part of the child's education, teams often play on Saturdays too,be it rugby, hockey or rowing, concerts and recitals are often in the evenings, the ccf is again weekend commitment.
My son has been representing his school literally every Saturday since september!

The commuter train runs from wycombe to Marylebone frequently, you can often tell the people who are walking home after disembarking due to their weary gait.

I really wish the distance calculator was scrapped for a realistic total time travelled calculator, we live close to both our boys schools, but it takes an extra 15 minutes for son number two to get to a school just over a Mike further up the road, as he has to walk up a long hill, which is also torturously slow to drive up as it leads not only to three secondary schools, but the motorway roundabout. When London travel or London commuter belt travel is involved it makes a nonsense of distance allocations.

Chesham may or may not have places but far more likely than rgs.

The time to ask these questions and research admissions and travel time was last year or spring when you were presumably first considering which tests to make your son sit for.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

OP, let me see if I understand your situation. What you are saying is, if your son gets in RGS you want to relocate to an area near RGS from where you could travel to central London for your job. Is that right? If yes, High Wycombe has good train connections to central London (Marylebone, Chiltern railways). I think RGS is approx 1 mile away from High Wycombe station so somewhere between the school and station would be your ideal choice to live.

ps. please verify this information though.
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Luvingdad,
It maybe a good idea to decide on which school you think will best suit your child and go from there as you seem (from your posts on here and other regions regarding Watford and Langley etc) to be going round in circles. Good luck.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Berks mum...... :idea: well done, didn't see that. :oops:

Yes the commute is common, weary but common, also from saunderton or princes risborough, both stations are on the same railway line, both areas provide school buses to rgs.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

DD sat the exam at RGS (prep and transfer test) so I got to know the surrounding area.
luvingdad

Post by luvingdad »

That's correct Berks Mum . Central London is where i work and i would be required to travel to central london on daily basis. APlogies for not making it clear in my mail.

Thanks all for your response and informatio nprovided so far. Commute looks ot be doable and even if my current location is16.3 miles away from school, considering last year cut off was 16.137 miles , i would take a chance and include RGS in CAF.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now