Bucks grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cupovt

Bucks grammar

Post by cupovt »

Hi, I wonder if someone would know where (place/address) in Bucks do children sit 11+ exam if they do not attend schools that prepare for 11+.
But they live in Aylesbury. Basically we are moving next year to Aylesbury but kids will carry on attending school in Isleworth as I don't want to disrupt them half way through the year.
Also would anyone know what is the pass score for Bucks grammar schools, is it 88% or 90%
Many Thanks
Maria
hugh

Post by hugh »

Where the children live isn't relevant for deciding where they sit the test.

If they're not in a Bucks primary, the default is "central testing", usually at a school in Aylesbury and I think it's normally during October half term - so don't book a holiday for then. Details on Bucks CC website.

However, if you and child's school prefer, your child can sit the 11+ at their current school. Don't be distracted by reference to "partner" schools - they're schools that routinely host 11+ tests but are not Bucks state primaries (i.e. state schools just over the county line and prep schools in BUcks).

My son's school was not a partner school, but was happy to administer and invigilate the test. We preferred it as it was a familiar environment and we (in conjunction with the school) could pick test dates that were convenient - although there is a deadline to do them by if you want results at the same time as everyone else.

As for the pass mark, it's commonly cited as around 86%, but the real thing is slightly adjusted for age in a way that you can't easily do with practice tests. There's lots of debate about it on this forum about the methodology. Look for topics that have words and phrases such as standardisation, age adjustment, pass mark, birthday in their subject.
cupovt

Post by cupovt »

Thank you for your reply, so my child can actually sit exam in his own school that has no connection with 11+ whatsoever, even if he is the only child sitting the test? did I get that right?
That would be ideal, shame it's half term already or I would have rang and inquired at our school. So the school passes the completed paper somewhere central, once the child sat the test. Are results given out at the same time as for the central exam sitting?
Sorry for so many questions but its like a whole new window has just opened up!
Many Thanks once again
Maria
hugh

Post by hugh »

If the headteacher of your child's school agrees, then yes, your child can sit 11+ at a school with no connection with Bucks 11+. (Children even sit it overseas.)

As long as the papers are returned to Bucks by a date they specify, you will get the results on the same day as everyone else.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now