Leaving the UK for a couple of yrs-Need advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Reading Mum

Re: Leaving the UK for a couple of yrs-Need advice

Post by Reading Mum »

southbucks3 wrote:
Sally-Anne wrote:I suggest a Kindle Paperwhite. I have a basic Kindle, and I'm very jealous of DH's Paperwhite, which I bought him!

She will love the electronic dictionary/thesaurus. Around £20 - £25 on Amazon.

Edited to add: Although you can download a dictionary/thesaurus onto the Kindle, it's best to have separate items, because otherwise you spend too much time clicking back and forth between the two on the Kindle.
New paperwhite kindle has the tap and hold word definition function, being of somewhat limited vocabulary myself :oops: I absolutely love this facility, it can make you lazy though, no straining the brain to work out a meaning through context, perfect for sleepy reading and great for little learners, so long as they try and work out the word first.
I have this and use it all the time for some authors. In the past I would have skimmed over an unknown word having got the gist from the context but now it is so easy to just press and hold to bring up the dictionary or Wikipedia. I wasn't sure about a kindle as I love books but I am a convert - particularly as I have just reread a series of 8 books of 1000odd pages each and it is so much easy to hold than the paperbacks.
C13

Re: Leaving the UK for a couple of yrs-Need advice

Post by C13 »

We were in this situation and my son recently took and passed the 11+ for Bucks. As I knew he was bright I did not push him and actually we did almost nothing until March of this year. Of course I had all the books and stuff but I never got myself into panic mode enough to get on with the studying. He was stronger in maths and although he was a strong reader his vocabulary was not great so that was when I made him make flashcards of any words he came across in his reading, with synonyms and antonyms. Over the summer in August he did 1 or 2 mock exams a week, which also had some revision elements to it, and those seemed to really help him a lot. (In July when we were not in the UK I had him do the Bond mock exams, and what he said after he did the second one was that he learned that he got tired after the first 45 minutes - i.e. that he needed to build up his exam stamina.) So if you are physically gone until the exam year, I would highly recommend doing mock exams in the summer - because the other point is learning exam technique, which he had none of. He didn't even know what to do with an answer sheet. But what I am saying is that she is still only 7 - you don't really have to worry until she is 9. Keep up with the Bond books every so often (although we didn't, there was a mad rush at the very end which you will want to avoid) - we found that some topics in maths that are on the test he didn't cover in his school until very late in year 5 or even early Y6 - if you can pick up on this earlier then you can at least ask the teacher when/ if the topic will be covered.