Bucks Eleven plus exam format

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hasmum

Bucks Eleven plus exam format

Post by hasmum »

Hi,
A friend heard somewhere that B.C. C will release the new Bucks eleven plus exam format today ?????
which will inform us of the changes made for exam next year.

Has anyone else heard anything? .... and is it true that there will be changes to next year's exam. I have another dd taking next year. My dd got through this year, but surprised this is happening :shock:

We moved thinking the old VR test then was easier to tackle in Bucks as ds had taken it.....but it was changed...... and dd did new test ...and now AGAIN!!! :(

Any truth in this?? :)
tiffinboys

Re: Bucks Eleven plus exam format

Post by tiffinboys »

Perhaps time to move again. :wink:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

hasmum wrote:A friend heard somewhere ...

Any truth in this?? :)
Not a single iota of truth in it.

What is happening is that there is a meeting of the BCC Education, Skills and Children’s Services Select Committee at 1.30pm.

At the meeting, 3 of the GS Heads will be presenting a report into the last two years of the CEM test, and answering questions about whether it has achieved the objectives they hoped for.

You can watch the meeting live by webcast using the link here:
https://democracy.buckscc.gov.uk/ieList ... 6564&Ver=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is also a copy of their report to the Committee in the Agenda Reports Pack for the meeting.
hasmum

Post by hasmum »

Hi Sally Anne,
What a relief :) I have been hearing all sorts of stories regarding some changes but ignored them until today as got a bit worried. Thanks for the update! There have been stories circulating regarding change in pass mark etc. also I don't know if there is some confusion regards the mean mark and the pass mark.....I know I read 100 mean somewhere for 2015 but could be wrong! .... :roll:

Hi tiffinboys :D ....no chance of moving now ...only local if we do.
It was a nightmare to get my dd's into one primary school. My 2nd daughter moved 3 times to get to same school as her other two siblings. Happy where we are. School is walking distance. :D ...few mins.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Glad to be able to soothe your furrowed brow.
hasmum wrote:I don't know if there is some confusion regards the mean mark and the pass mark.....I know I read 100 mean somewhere for 2015 but could be wrong! .... :roll:
The mean mark is always 100, the pass mark is always 121.

The maximum and minimum scores have changed though. In the past they ranged from 69 - 141 (both were artificial cut off points); now they range from 0 - 200, although the highest score achieved so far is 199, in last year's test. This year the highest score was 188.
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

I watched. The most interesting point is the one made by a primary head of how upsetting it is for children to receive results of 30, I agree there is nothing to be gained from issuing this to students who have not opted in to the test . There should be a minimum cap and anything below that is ignored, I don't know maybe 80 or something.

If a test is set to allow students to learn from it by looking at their answers and getting feedback then the mark is important, if it is set as a means of sorting children into two groups the score is irrelevant other than close either side to the pass mark.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

jabba7 wrote:I watched. The most interesting point is the one made by a primary head of how upsetting it is for children to receive results of 30, I agree there is nothing to be gained from issuing this to students who have not opted in to the test . There should be a minimum cap and anything below that is ignored, I don't know maybe 80 or something.

If a test is set to allow students to learn from it by looking at their answers and getting feedback then the mark is important, if it is set as a means of sorting children into two groups the score is irrelevant other than close either side to the pass mark.
A very interesting point Jabba7. As Bucks have a straight 121 and your in policy I feel they could dispense with scores altogether.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Tolstoy wrote:A very interesting point Jabba7. As Bucks have a straight 121 and your in policy I feel they could dispense with scores altogether.
I wish that were the case. Unfortunately, I fear the Admissions team would be overwhelmed with parents insisting that they be told their child's score.

Even if they refused, the information could be requested under the Data Protection Act, making a lot of work for everyone in the system.

I think it would be possible to get away from the "scores culture" after a couple of years, but it would be hard work in the interim.

The alternative could be for scores to be available via Head teachers, but my guess is that almost every parent would request to receive them.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Scores over 121 surely could be dispensed with?

The problem is that children don't want to feel different so sit the test even when they have virtually no chance of qualifying.

Perhaps scores below 80 could be withheld - or the letter say 'below 80', then parents might not ask?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Pates have never given out scores to those DC who are in their top 120 so it must be possible. Part of me wonders if some of the excessive tutoring going on in Bucks is about getting high scores rather than a simple pass. The whole thing does bring out the competitve in even the most docile of folk.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now