15 Dec Help!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

Re: 15 Dec Help!

Post by Sally-Anne »

It's hard to say for an in-year test, especially given that Santa will be getting in the way!

I would think that the end of the second week of January (Friday 16th?) would be about right, but that is just guesswork, based on how long the whole system takes to get going again after Christmas. A week either way wouldn't be unreasonable.

I'm sure Admissions will tell you if you ask them.
Lastminute.com

Post by Lastminute.com »

Thanks - will do but they don't tend to answer at 10:30pm!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Went through the same scenario this summer.

Maths was straight forward I used WH smiths books which ensured he had covered the y5/6 curriculum and did some of the First past the Post short maths tests. If your International School follows the British curriculum you should have covered all the topics tested so just concentrate on mental Arithmetic and problem solving.

NVR we did a couple of GL papers, I think any publisher would do. Fortunately my DS found these easy you may be able to download some from the Bond site.

The tricky bit is the VR. Your DD will need to have a very extensive vocabulary and excellent spelling to enable her to recognise words out of context. There is a vocab list in the CEM section look at it and see how many words she already knows.

The other factor is she will have to be able to work fast, timing is crucial. Plus remember when final 1 min is announced she needs to mark the question she is on and then guess all unanswered questions returning to the one she was working to complete if poss. We didn't think of that one and DS left many unanswered, seven in the maths section probably more elsewhere.

In your situation I would look to see when the school sits 12+ and give both of you more time. Sitting it with such short notice is extremely stressful and as you are not returning till April I am not sure why it has to be so soon.

The results took about a week to arrive. They are marked fairly pronto, next day I believe, and then send out the results.

Good luck.
Lastminute.com

Post by Lastminute.com »

Thanks very much for the replies.
I would normally be very confident about VR but this is the fourth country my daughter has been to school in with 3.5 different languages, the .5 being American so she hasn't exactly had consistency so keeps mixing her English with, for example, Italian which obviously has a completely different set of spelling and grammar rules. The syllabus she is currently doing is not UK.

Does anyone have an idea how many others will be there on 15 dec?

Also, what does DD / DS stand for? Is it de rigeur to use DS instead of daughter?? Will I incur the wrath of the mods?!?!
Moderators

Post by Moderators »

See no. 10:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 29#p479929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(No, not de rigueur! :))
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Lastminute.com wrote:Does anyone have an idea how many others will be there on 15 dec?
No more than a handful, I would guess.
Also, what does DD / DS stand for? Is it de rigeur to use DS instead of daughter??
"Darling Daughter/Darling Son". (On a good day. Other versions are available ...) It's just quicker than typing out daughter.
Will I incur the wrath of the mods?!?!
Oh, absolutely. :lol: We green people are big on wrath. :mrgreen:

To add to the list posted by The Stig above, there's a whole thread about abbreviations here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 38&t=13507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lastminute.com

Post by Lastminute.com »

OK - it's getting close now and DS (!) is doing OK, except she seems to really struggle with the questions where you have to make a sentence from mixed up words and say which one is left over. Any thoughts / hints?

Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Try some examples on cards so she can physically move them; then she needs to notice which words tend to go together e.g. subject and verb.
Lastminute.com

Post by Lastminute.com »

Thanks for all the posts and PMs - they have been very useful.

It is now all over bar the waiting - we will hopefully find out before the end of the year.

There were 7 pupils taking the exam and my daughter seemed fairly happy at the end. There was only one type of question she hadn't seen before - something to do with a grid of numbers. She did miss the 3 questions on the very back cover of the booklet for exam 2, which is very annoying, but had no time difficulties on any sections.

Thanks again.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Well fingers crossed and glad all went well.

Be careful posting any test content as they use the same tests for a surprising length of time.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now