And the countdown begins.....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
buzzybee

Re: And the countdown begins.....

Post by buzzybee »

ConfusedAylesburyMum and I have the exact same experience. Our dd didn't pass the 11 plus, or get through on review. We also appealed but did not tell her (she still doesn't know) and it was unsuccessful. However, success at 12 plus so we got there in the end.

Great to hear ConfusedAylesburyMum that your dd is doing well. No doubt our two are in the same class!
BucksMum02

Post by BucksMum02 »

Thanks All - you've answered my first question - I was going to ask when results are due. 7 Feb. I am starting to feel the anxiety rise again .... Just in case the review and appeal don't bring us joy - thank you also for the words of encouragement from 12+ successfuls! Can anyone give any good tips for 12+ practise please? Also - we have 2 level 5s in the bag but writing is looking scary - are there any exceptions for being able to take the 12+ if they haven't achieved 5s in all 3? Thank you for being there!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - you can appeal if you are refused permission to sit the 12+; historically these have a good success rate.

A level 5 in Science would be helpful - it's the test results they use in Reading and Maths so do encourage your child to keep working.
BucksMum02

Post by BucksMum02 »

Thank you Guest55. I don't recall any results for Science? We've only been given results for maths , reading and writing ( I think )!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They should give a level for Science - no tests these days though except if the school is chosen for the national sample tests.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Thank you OP for starting this thread, I haven't been able to put it out of my mind. I like the idea of not telling ds2 if we appeal. This whole process has been very stressful for him.
Very nervous now as there is less than a month to go.

Good luck everyone!
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Post by ConfusedAylesburyMum »

For the 12+ exams carried out by the County Council - which I believe the schools using BCC might have changed from a year ago, we did not have to prove any levels at all. They did not ask for levels at all but just tested everyone who applied. Those grammars that were doing the tests themselves did ask for for levels.

We were in the same boat that my daughter was great for maths and reading but her writing was the element that let her down marginally.
BucksMum02

Post by BucksMum02 »

Thank you ConfusedAylesburyMum- apologies for the delay in responding. Everyone tells me the level 5s are a must - so very interesting to read your experience for 12+. We live in county so as far as I'm aware - a specific grammar school test would have to be taken - not sure how I would opt for a BCC one that is not affiliated to a school , and therefore benefit from no levels required! I need to do some reading up . Great site. Great thread. Thanks all. The thing I'm finding so hard is to let him know that he is amazing whatever the outcome - that he will be awesome wherever he goes but that GS is likely to be an environment more conducive to learning. It's ensuring he maintains the 'desire' to go without retaking the feeling of failure if he doesn't make it. So hard...
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

We rang the John Hampden school last week and we were told that you have to be "invited" to take the 12+ and that level 5's are a must. Not sure how we will do this as our dc is homeschooled....
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

GS is likely to be an environment more conducive to learning.
Not sure that is necessarily true… personally I think it depends far more on the attitude of the individual child.

DD decided against sitting the 12+ and 5 years on decided against taking up the option of a GS place for 6th Form to stay on at her US. Neither she nor we have had cause to think that was a mistake.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now