Anyone with a DC taking Bucks 11+ in Sept 2015?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Peridot

Re: Anyone with a DC taking Bucks 11+ in Sept 2015?

Post by Peridot »

Hi Lily - have you considered changing your daughter's school? It seems wrong to have to fork out on school fees and to feel obliged to pay for a tutor as well. I'm afraid I have no experience of private schools but if you are unhappy with your daughter's progress and support from the school that might be an idea. Good luck.
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

I'm sure you mean well, however I am quite shocked that you feel the need to get her ready for the 11+ so early . A good general knowledge , lots of reading with mummy I feel would be far more relevant than endless sheets from a tutor. I feel burnout may happen. I fully understand you want your daughter to do well , isn't it more relevant for her to be the best she can be just for herself rather than the aim of the 11+ as this might just happen naturally a long the way. Children never develop in a straight line. Dollyxxxx
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Great post dolly. I love what you said about children not developing in a straight line. It's been very true of mine and makes being a parent so interesting!

Lily, looking at what dolly says in her post is why I said have you considered changing her school? There's no way you should be tutoring in year 3. Maybe she'd be happier and supported better in a different environment?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sch ... fer-tests/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but the dates are out.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'd like to see them change the real test to AFTER Super Saturday to stop tourists ...
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Guest55 wrote:I'd like to see them change the real test to AFTER Super Saturday to stop tourists ...
Agree totally!

Dates no different to the previous 2 CEM years - familiarisation Tuesday of the first full week back and test Thursday of first full week back.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Guest55 wrote:I'd like to see them change the real test to AFTER Super Saturday to stop tourists ...

Would have made sense, suppose it will keep the review and appeals panels busy this way :wink:

I hate them being so close to the summer holidays. My older DS who sat in November, was able to have a 11+ free summer and still pass. Most DC aren't back up to speed at that point, unless they've kept working. :(
*Jigsaw*

Post by *Jigsaw* »

Kata girl wrote:*Jigsaw* if you believe your DD is bright, and she is motivated and she has self belief you should give it your best shot and not be scared. Just go for it. If you can find a tutor there may be benefits, but also there is a lot you can help her with if you can't find one. Anyway for others it may not be affordable in their budget. Just my view but I would start adding extra work out of school in a regular structured way - a sort of timetable over her own current timetable of homework and out of school activities.
Thank you Kata girl, my daughter is extremely bright and in all the top sets. She's always wanted to be a vet and as we have horses, she does spend a lot of time around vets, so is very motivated. It's her that pushing for the grammar school rather than us !

As I said previously, we sadly left it to late to find a tutor as we're complete novices at this ! We have, however, bought her lots of work books and down loaded some work sheets and she's working well - small amounts daily :) but roll on September when it's over although then I'll be sorting out my youngest daughter who's moving into year four in September lol
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

*jigsaw* we're not using a tutor, never have, they are certainly not essential. The only benefit for us would have been a more coordinated approach and less battles :roll: Nothing so difficult as teaching your own especially if they have inherited a stubborn streak. Have to say though this beautiful weather is playing havoc with any sort of prep, too busy playing and I'm loath to call him in as who knows how long it will last.
Awesomeanshi

Post by Awesomeanshi »

I would also like to join in....just joined the forum. My child is appearing this Sep too...finding it very stressful and scary at the moment.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now