Review results 2015 - general discussion

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Re: And the countdown begins.....

Post by ConfusedAylesburyMum »

I just wanted to back up what BuzzyBee said - we did not succeed at Review or appeal 2 years ago which was the first year of reviews (like many have said on here, probably due to 4a writing despite 5s in everything else) but she succeeded at 12+.

She is now at Grammar school and is doing brilliantly. I should say as well she was doing really well at her Upper school for that first year but loves the challenge at Grammar.
BucksMum02

Post by BucksMum02 »

Thanks CAM - could you let us know what, if any, additional work you did to help your dc pass the 12+? Was it a comfortable pass achieved?

As I've mentioned previously, we have two L5's but ensuring L5 in writing is achieved is a bit of a struggle! I'm reliably informed that lots of kids who passed are the same or below my child's current 4b in writing - it's so unfair !!!! (I feel better for saying that)! :-)

Thanks for the encouragement from all those who walked the long road but got there in the end.
BucksMum02

Post by BucksMum02 »

Thanks CAM - could you let us know what, if any, additional work you did to help your dc pass the 12+?

As I've mentioned previously, we have two L5's but ensuring L5 in writing is achieved is a bit of a struggle! I'm reliably informed that lots of kids who passed are the same or below my child's current 4b in writing - it's so unfair !!!! (I feel better for saying that)! :-)

Thanks for the encouragement from all those who walked the long road but got there in the end.
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Post by ConfusedAylesburyMum »

BucksMum02 - she had about 5 weeks with a tutor (1 hour a week) in the run up to it just to cover off the new things as she did the old 11+ and we wanted to make sure she was comfortable with the new aspects. We did nothing other than this to be honest.

However as Maths is her subject, the new style suited her better and she did pass comfortably.
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Bucksmum02 - we didn't do any prep for the 12 plus. My dd took the old style 11 plus. Her year were the last to take the old style exam and were guinea pigs so to speak for the new CEM test at the end of Year 6 to test it out for the new Year 6's in the September term.

When I look back we were a bit blase about it but we didn't want to put any pressure on dd so when she did the exam she was very chilled and we had heard that the new style exam was more of a true reflection of a childs natural ability so we left it in the hands of fate.

Of course, it's down to every individual of how you wish to prep for an exam but that was our way and thankfully the outcome was good.
Moderators

Re: Review results 2015 - general discussion

Post by Moderators »

Hi everyone

We've tidied up the 'countdown thread'. General posts about reviews from 7th Feb. onwards have been transferred here, and we'll make this a temporary sticky so that it's easier to find.

Please note that this topic is intended for general discussion and mutual support.

Specific questions about your own case should be asked in your own single thread on the Appeals forum. (It can make it very difficult for Etienne and Sally-Anne to help if information about your case is scattered over numerous threads! They need all the information and previous advice to be in one place.)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

With a view to our updating the 'How to appeal' thread at the end of the month, could some kind member help by sending us a scanned copy of the review clerk's notes?

Any personal information can be blotted out beforehand.
Any that remains will be treated in strictest confidence.

It's the headings/instructions/questions/format we're interested in.
We'd like to see what changes have been made to the form since last year.

Thanks
Etienne
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Etienne wrote:Could some kind member help by sending us a scanned copy of the review clerk's notes?

Any personal information can be blotted out beforehand.
Any that remains will be treated in strictest confidence.

It's the headings/instructions/questions/format we're interested in.
We'd like to see what changes have been made to the form since last year.

Thanks
I've got to send a scan of ours to the head at school later - so I'll send that to you too.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thank you! :D
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Booklady wrote:I've got to send a scan of ours to the head at school later - so I'll send that to you too.
Received with thanks. Very helpful to have the accompanying notes as well.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now