NC Levels - still being used?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yoyo123

Re: NC Levels - still being used?

Post by yoyo123 »

This year year6 and year 2 are following the old curriculum and are assessed with levels.
moved

Post by moved »

Schools need a new system in place for the next academic year. I had a very clear official conversation about this recently.

There are only two year groups that are using levels officially.

The remaining years are without a system to track children at the moment. A lack of familiarity with the new curriculum has meant that most schools are still using the old familiar system to monitor progress. Maps of new to old are available and the skills required for each year group are clearly laid out. The problem being that with any change in system time is needed to become familiar and there is no clear path from one to another.

Elements of the old curriculum are not in the new and vice versa. This is the reason why the national KS1/2 tests are on the old curriculum.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

It is strange , moved. I work with 5 & 6 and so am switching between the 2 every day.

We are all a bit at sea.

Year 5 this year is hard work, we are having to catch up as the new curriculum presumes that they have already been taught stuff up to 2 years before.
mystery

Post by mystery »

This is why, I suppose, that schools were allowed to use the new curriculum in maths and English in 2013-14 if they chose to do so ( except with the cohorts that form this year and last year's year 2 and year 6).

I am disappointed to say that my child who is supposedly following the new national curriculum in year 4 is doing more diluted work at school right across the board than my older child did in year 4. H

How each school interprets the new curriculum in practice is worryingly diverse.

Assessing during the year without the old national curriculum levels shouldn't be that hard but I guess after years of doling out the same old qca optional papers it had become a lost art in some schools.

Interesting to see how confused some schools can get when given a freedom.

I have not a clue what my child's school is doing. I think they issued a statement a while ago saying they were waiting for ofsted to tell them!!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now