How to appeal for a Bucks GS place 2015 (Appeals/Reviews)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Moderators

Re: How to appeal for a Bucks GS place, March 2015

Post by Moderators »

Our son only achieved 97 in the bucks 2015 11+. 121 in VR and much lower in Maths and NVR.
We think this is due to his primary school not teaching to the required standards, the school received a 'Requires Improvement' rating from OFSTED only last year. By the time we realised our son was falling behind it was too difficult to get him up to speed.
We did not employ a professional tutor and in retrospect this was a mistake. We were also distracted from 11+ preparation by an illness in the family although this affected out ability to work with our son more than it affecting him personally.
Do you think that it is worth pursuing an appeal, either immediately with the Selection Review or later with a LA Appeal?
We would really like our son to attend a grammar school as his 2 older siblings are both at GS and have done very well and we feel that our son would be lost in the local non GS as it is a very large school.
The only other complication is that we are out of county!!!
Any advice you can give will be gratefully received.
Welcome! :)

You really ought to have your own thread in the Appeals section where specific cases are dealt with.

We'll move your post there when we have a moment.
Etienne

Re: Selection Review Advice- Bucks

Post by Etienne »

Moved from another thread:
Dollydripmat wrote:I also photo copied on colour her end of Y5 report and using a highlighter ,I highlighted any comments that were relevant to her academic ability
Etienne wrote:Unfortunately the panel will almost certainly be provided with the most economical photocopies (i.e. black & white), so any colour will be lost, and any highlighting will finish up as an ugly smudge! :(
Etienne wrote:It's helpful that you're raising these points, Dolly.

I've added to the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a53" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dollydripmat wrote:Interesting Etienne, I thought at review they are given the envelope which I put all documents in and it's opened up there and then at the review panel. I thought it was the appeal where the extra photocopies were necessary . Possibly what I did was incorrect? Dollyxxx
Hello, Dolly!

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... rk#p511611" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In all cases, the paperwork was available to the [review] panel members seven days in advance of the
meeting. Prior to the meeting, the panel pre-read and individually formulated a provisional
decision.
Review Panel members wouldn't be able to prepare in advance of the meeting if they didn't have their own copy of the paperwork! :)
Etienne
Dollydripmat

Re: Selection Review Advice- Bucks

Post by Dollydripmat »

Again interesting....thanks Etienne !! I think I must have been confused reading somewhere that the problem with the review was how long they had to read each case...3minutes comes to mind!! Hence why I highlighted....silly mare I am! :roll: dollyxxx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

We do have concerns about how long is spent on each review case.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... rk#p511611" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    • When challenged about how little time is spent on each case (on average), the knee-jerk response is sure to be "Ah, but headteachers spent time studying each case before the hearing"!
      If that is so, where is the evidence?
      At least in the 2013 case some anecdotal evidence was included: "Panel members report that they spent on average five hours preparation in advance of each meeting." Presumably, when parents worked out in 2013 that the average amount of time spent preparing each case was under 7 minutes, the figure didn't impress.
      No figure has been included in the school case since then.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=41358" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    • D4 ................ In 2013 Sally-Anne estimated the average length of time spent on each case during the actual meetings at less than 10 minutes, with some cases receiving no more than 3 minutes' attention.

Note to everyone: this topic is for general discussion about reviews/appeals.

Members needing specific advice about their own case for review or appeal in 2015/16 should start a thread of their own on the Appeals forum.
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Also, Etienne, isn't the review panel serving Headteachers who are already working full-time running their schools ...?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

You're absolutely right, G55.

One GS head is reported as saying that he set aside a school day to prepare for each session of review cases.
(Probably around 5 hours per day if we take out assembly, lunch, etc.)

This may not amount to very much on average per review case - but the total number of days' work overall makes it a significant commitment for a busy head.
One can envisage interruptions and other pressures during the course of a day!

On top of that, each review meeting will take approximately half a day.
Etienne
Daddy123

Re: How to appeal for a Bucks GS place 2015 (Appeals/Reviews

Post by Daddy123 »

Good luck to all waiting for review decisions..
Presume it's due in today.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now