BUCKS SECONDARY ALLOCATION PROFILES 2006 - 2015

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tolstoy

Re: BUCKS SECONDARY ALLOCATION PROFILES 2006 - 2015

Post by Tolstoy »

If your DC end up in a school where the after school activities are limited there is a pretty good chance you will end up behind the wheel anyway. Three of mine are walking distance from school and as the activites they are interested in aren't available there they
A - have to find find somewhere to do them.
B - have to be driven there as well as collected at random times (at least with school activities they run at the end of the school day)
parentofthree

Post by parentofthree »

Can I please confirm a couple of facts to make sure I have read the post right

It states on the report the following:

St Michael's Catholic School All applicants offered under rules 1 - 5 and some allocated under rule 6c (children whose homes are the shortest distance from the school) to 1.190 miles.

Is this from the recent allocation for secondary schools & the 1.190 miles is that the radius around the school where children were offered places from? So if you didn't meet criteria's 1 - 5 would you only get in if you lived within 1.190 miles of the school ?

thanks
Letsdoit

Post by Letsdoit »

Thanks for the reply. I am looking for mixed school only BGS.CGS, THE ROTAL LATIN
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

From Harrow the only one of these that might be possible is CGS but the allocation distance shrinks every year.

You'd need to move now to get either of the others ... Buckingham (RLS) is miles from Harrow!

There are two other mixed GS - SWBGS - but you are too far or SHF in Aylesbury - again you are too far away.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

parentofthree wrote:Can I please confirm a couple of facts to make sure I have read the post right

It states on the report the following:

St Michael's Catholic School All applicants offered under rules 1 - 5 and some allocated under rule 6c (children whose homes are the shortest distance from the school) to 1.190 miles.

Is this from the recent allocation for secondary schools & the 1.190 miles is that the radius around the school where children were offered places from? So if you didn't meet criteria's 1 - 5 would you only get in if you lived within 1.190 miles of the school ?

thanks
If BCC quotes their stats the same way as our LEA, the 1.190 miles is how far away the last child admitted lives, not that all applicants within that radius from the school got in, as such (but it does come to the same thing, really). What it doesn't mean is that that is some kind of set distance from the school that you have to live in to get a place, or within which you will definitely get a place - that will change year on year according to demand for places.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
sunshineonarainyday

Post by sunshineonarainyday »

I have been told that St Michael's has been forced to take an extra 30 pupils this Sep for Y7, so they will have to stick a porta cabin somewhere as there is nowhere to put extra students.
I don't know if the extra 30 places were allocated in the 1st or 2nd round.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I believe they were asked not forced ... their PAN was only 120, the smallest in the county, and they have some building going on.
sunshineonarainyday

Post by sunshineonarainyday »

Sorry, this what a member of staff told me. I know they are planning to extend over the next 5 years but it is still in the planning stage.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Ditto .... the LA can't force a school to take additional pupils.
Day1n2

Post by Day1n2 »

Hi, I am fairly new to the forum and my daughter hasn't started any prep for the 11+ yet. We moved out of Bucks 6 months ago to live abroad and are due to come back to Bucks in Dec 2016. My daughter is currently in Year 3 and we were hoping that she can sit for the 11+ in due course. When we return we will live within the catchment area (our home in Bucks is currently being rented out) of Dr Challoner's High School and Chesham Grammar. Our home is about 12 Miles (straight line) from Dr. Challoner's. I had a look at the past allocation for Chesham and Challoner's and am struggling to understand some details.

When I checked a doc entitled 'Moving up to Secondary School in September 2014'
Dr Challoner's Allocation is specified as :

All applicants offered under rule 2 {4} (catchment siblings) and some allocated under rule 2 (catchment) to a distance of 5.971 miles.
What does it mean? Where can I get hold of these rules? If it says 'some allocated under rule 2 to a distance of 5.971 miles' does it mean some children who live within catchment up to a distance of 5.971 were offered?? So if we live 12 Miles from the school but within catchment we wouldn't be offered?

I also checked drop box document which is available in this site. There it is specified as follows:
OA to 3.748
Would really appreciate some comments to help understand what it means.

I checked for Dr Challoner's to start with to give me an idea. It will be good if we stand a chance but better to know if we don't so that to we can plan accordingly.
Thanks in advance.