Can anyone help with a transport query for JH?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BlueBerry22

Re: Can anyone help with a transport query for JH?

Post by BlueBerry22 »

There are school bus services that run from HW railway station - they are public buses and pick up children that live in Central HW (& from the trains) and deposit them at the GS's at the top of Amersham Hill. They are timetabled to take 20 mins. My sons friends catch them and that is how he will get to school in Sept.

BB22
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I really depends on where the OP lives & whether they move. Greenford station to JHGS - do-able if a little time consuming. Ealing - Greenford-JHGS would be difficult, even short term. By car would be risky as it is unpredictable. A colleague of mine does a similar journey from Ealing (about 10 miles shorter, and doesn't involve Handy Cross) and takes about 30 minutes in the morning. However, on occasion it has taken her a couple of hours, and on one occasion in the last 9 months has meant she has had to stay at home. You wouldn't want this to happen on a day your DS was going on a school trip, or had an important public exam.
scary mum
khan1971

Post by khan1971 »

option 1

South Ruislip to High wycombe(only 15-20 min) and then to JHGS by local bus towards JHGS(max 20 min)

option2

Blue Bus BB 11/12 from Gerrad Cross to Marlow Hills School.

No pain No gain
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

These times are highly optimistic! They assume no waiting and that there is no traffic.

Seriously, try the journey on a school day to get there for the right time ...
Kata girl

Post by Kata girl »

I don't have a DC travelling this route but I know Greenford/Ealing/Ruislip really well. I think to get advice from anyone who is doing the route already you will need to be a bit more specific about your starting point and are you thinking road or train ?
Also, if by road - whereabouts on the A40 are you planning to join it - Hangar Lane, The Target or The Polish ?
All these are extremely grid locked even for local traffic anytime after 7.10am....
khan1971

Post by khan1971 »

I drop my child to Gerrad cross before 7.25am and pick him up at 4.30pm from Gerrad cross every day. He will go by BB11. you can see BB11 map and time table on carousal website. There used to be A40 bus from uxbridge to Marlow hills schools but now it travel to high wycombe bus station instead of marlow hill schools.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Are you doing this already or planning to?

That's a VERY long day for a 11 year old ... what about after school activities, parents evenings, concerts, sports fixtures?