Are sats test results age standardised

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ccl

Are sats test results age standardised

Post by ccl »

I posted this query in "PRIMARY" but I'm not sure how many parents are active there so I give it a try here:

Hi,
Are the SATS tests supposed to be age standardised? I thought they were, but I might be wrong.... In particular, I'm concerned about the writing, since the teacher is now supposed to do that without any official test at the end of the year. Must be hard for an (unexperienced) teacher to give a standardised grade (?)
Thanks

Hi again,
I found the following document after a bit of searching:
https://www.gov.uk/teacher-assessment-k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... -and-tests

"...The teacher’s handbooks and guides include mark schemes, level threshold information and age standardised scores so that you can mark the tests and attribute appropriate levels."

So, quite clearly age standardised scores are given.

Thus, will a child born in August require lower RAW score than a child born in Sep to achieve eg level 3b? (assuming Sep children score better on the average than Aug children)

Or are the age standardised scores presented separately.... and a certain grade requires a certain raw score?

If the grades are supposed to be age standardised, this must be rather hard hen it comes to the "Writing" assessment.
Lillie

Re: Are sats test results age standardised

Post by Lillie »

No, I don't think they are.

I have an older DC who did SATS three years ago and there was no age standardisation given in the final results.

I'm not aware of any age standardisation for anything other than 11 plus. That is why we frequently have the "summer born" vs. 'autumn born" discussion on here.
ccl

Post by ccl »

Thanks, for the reply.

The link was:
https://www.gov.uk/teacher-assessment-k ... -and-tests" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I'd be surprised if they were. My dd sat SATs last year and there was no mention of the fact that she was 6 months younger than the rest of her cohort who sat for level 6s. Also I'm a governor at a primary school and have never heard this mentioned in all the endless discussion about results!
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

I'd always viewed SATs as a series of hoops to be jumped through; if you can do this, this and this you move up a level. Rather than a measure of innate measure of ability/potential. I'm not aware if ever having any standardisation.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

This information used to be published along with the level thresholds. I'm not sure if it is still going as the most recent one I've seen is from the 2012 tests.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... sed-scores" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Teacher assessed work would not be age standardised.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

No SATs are not standardised. They should be….
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Why should they be age standardised? You'd then have to take into account prematurity of more than 6 weeks ...
ccl

Post by ccl »

Thanks for all the replies.

You are correct. (I've also confirmed with teacher+called up the info line on the web page that I mentioned above).

What did puzzle me was "....age standardised scores so that you can mark the tests and attribute appropriate levels." which COULD be interpretted as that teachers determine the age standardised score (based on child's age+raw score) and from this age standardised score attribute appropriate level. BUT what they meant was that the teachers can give the parents their child's RAW score, Age st. score and finally level and this level is purely based on the RAW score.

Thanks
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

I suppose you could argue, were would it all end? Age standardisation of GCSEs and A levels as well, as the difference does last up until then apparently.