Grade 5 Music Theory

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Eccentric

Re: Grade 5 Music Theory

Post by Eccentric »

Thank you all, and I will look into Jazz grade 5 as well.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

One of my children does Trinity exams and the other ABRSM. With Trinity you don't need grade 5 theory before going on to the normal grade 6 which is an advantage in some ways. However the theory does give you a good grounding and is useful if she is going on to do GECSE etc. But my dd does very well in the playing side of things and Trinity definitely focuses on that more than the theory so it might be worth exploring, even if she is going to go ahead with the theory. Apparently (but I have no expert knowledge) Trinity exams are considered easier to pass but harder to gain merits/distinctions in. I don't know how true that is though.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

What's great is that there is such a good choice of exam routes with instrumental music these days, depending on where you want to go with it - for example:

1. If you are interested in the theory of music anyway, and may want to take music to a higher level from a playing or composing point of view - GCSE and beyond - the Grade V theory exam is definitely worth doing, and it provides a thorough grounding in the rules and regulations of classical music.

2. If not so interested in theory you can take a jazz ABRSM exam to enable you to go on to grade 6 classical or jazz and beyond. The Jazz exams are relatively new - do bear in mind that they involve improvisation which suits some but not others. I personally am rubbish at improvisation but good at sight reading, for example.

3. If you are particularly interested in playing, not theory, and don't fancy taking a jazz exam, switch to Trinity exams. Grade 6 and upwards Trinity exams are worth the same number of UCAS points as the ABRSM exams. One other thing to note also with Trinity exams is that up to grade 5 you can choose any two out of four possible supporting tests - musical knowledge, sight reading, aural and improvisation. In contrast, sight reading and aural are compulsory for all ABRSM exams.

Horses for courses basically...

By the way Eccentric I think you may be confusing theory with aural tests, as there is no theory component to ABRSM practical exams. Also, if she wants to start the piano, the sooner she gets started on it the better, as I'm presuming she is now approximately 12 years old. Much harder than the flute, and a lot more practising required to get to a good level! Px
Y

Post by Y »

I'll PM you the name of someone who has run crash courses for Grade 5 theory during the summer holidays. Both mine did her course and really enjoyed it.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.learningtrust.net/music-serv ... e-2014-15/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks as if the theory is run on Saturdays (click on the pick link) ... you have to check whether you can start now.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hi. Is this Trinity as in Greenwich? Is grading useful when doing GCSE? Would this be GCSE music? Do they make the grading equivalent for part of the exam? Thanks!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Salsa - I don't understand your question - sorry.

For the practical music part of GCSE you can get full marks for playing at a good grade 4/5 standard.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Sorry. When I saw Trinity I wondered if they are the same ones located at Greenwich. My son grades there. He's only 9, so I wondered if he carried on, whether this would be useful for GCSE. My eldest has a very good level, according to his guitar teachers, but has never graded. I was just wondering if grading would be something other than having a piece of paper. I'm quite ignorant about the whole grading issues.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Trinity and ABRSM are the name of the exam boards for music exams.

Higher grades (grade 6 upwards) attract UCAS points and can be useful. However make sure they enjoy the learning as all I did was take grades and it put me off!
salsa

Post by salsa »

Thank you. Yes indeed, they do their instruments because they love them. My eldest wasn't given the opportunity to grade in primary, but his teacher now was talking about it. My youngest's teacher does put her pupils for grading and he's done the initial one. I didn't know they could be useful in future. Thanks for the information.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now