Which areas of MK fall within catchment for Royal Latin?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
timi

Which areas of MK fall within catchment for Royal Latin?

Post by timi »

Hello

I am new to this forum, and very glad to have found you all.
My son is sitting the 11+ this September and we are considering moving to Buckingham so that he gets into Royal Latin if he passes. If he does not however, I am told the other state school Buckingham School is really bad.
I understand that some Mk kids who live around Oxley Park have been succesfully admitted to Royal Latin. Would moving to this area cover all bases. That is, if he passes, he gets a place in Royal Latin, and if not....Hazeley?
I have been trying to measure the areas in milton keynes that are less than 8 miles form Royal Latin in a straight line.
Please advise..I am a first timer and not really sure about all this, just keep getting ideas from internet etc.

many thanks :)
Guest55

Re: Which areas of MK fall within catchment for Royal Latin?

Post by Guest55 »

Buckingham is not 'really bad' it gets results in line with other Upper Schools - it is not a comprehensive!

There is a map of the catchment here:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sch ... ent-areas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From MK you probably stand a better chance of the Aylesbury GS than RLS. The mixed GS, Sir Henry Floyd, is just as good as RLS.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Might be an idea if someone moved this out of the "maths" section?
scary mum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

You will need to move to the very western extent of the Hazeley catchment area in order to also be in with a chance from all past allocation distances for RLS.
Allocation Profiles 2006 - 2015.xlsx
(26.66 KiB) Downloaded 617 times
You will need a ruler and an OS map to get it right!

(X-post with scary - I will move this to Bucks in a mo.)

Edit: Etienne beat me to it and we have just been teleported from Maths to Bucks! :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Even then that is not a guarantee ....
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Sally-Anne wrote:in with a chance
Hence my caution!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

It's a risky strategy - we live in South Northants, in a location that would have been comfortably within the area allocated last year but far enough outside it this year to make getting in on the waiting list unlikely. Also remember that the allocation distances on pre-2013 allocation profiles are longer because they used to be measured by road, whereas the straight-line system is now used - which benefits places like ours which were measured along a somewhat circuitous route, but not those with a straight-ish road anyway such as MK!

That said, if you're looking at MK, remember that Newton Longville on the outskirts is in catchment for RLS - not sure what effect that has on house prices, though! Alternatively there are areas in South Northants and North Oxfordshire that are within a 7-8 mile distance but also give you the option of a good all-ability comprehensive that some recommend more readily than the schools in MK (don't shoot me down folks - just telling it like it is!)
Marylou
timi

Post by timi »

Thank you all so much for your advice...I thought I would be lucky to get one response!
Lots of info to digest!!! Will make a decision based on what works for the whole family (work, younger siblings school etc) and leave the rest for whatever is in his destiny! :D

Many thanks