The "Voting with Feet" index

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Thanks for all that feedback.

A few questions in return (possibly to Guest55):

1. I understood that schools could receive more money if their sixth form is bigger, therefore why would they cap their numbers?

2. Does the capping affect upper schools more than grammar schools?

3. Is the capping implemented according to historical demand for sixth form places at that school?
Hilda

Post by Hilda »

Dear dad 40

Am I missing something? Figures appear to show popularity of a 6th form, but how do they show number of pupils retained? They show numbers in 6th form, vs numbers in years 7-11, but it seems to me they don't show whether the 6th form figure represents pupils who have stayed on, or newcomers.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Good point Hilda - you cannot tell where the pupils were in Y11!

I know that some schools are NOT allowed to take in too many external students - it's on their websites. It mainly affects popular schools e.g. Waddesdon who cannot say 'we are full' if they 'grow' the sixth form!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I believe that schools are meant to have an admission number for 6th form entry (applicable to external students), and to state how places will be allocated in the event of over-subscription.

Otherwise, if an external student met a school's normal 6th form entry requirements, and was refused admission, there could be an appeal - and the authority might have some difficulty defending the school's decision.
Etienne
solimum

sixth form

Post by solimum »

My son joined a grammar 6th form from an 11-16 comp - they were quite happy to have up to around 20 new pupils at that stage, subject to the same GCSE results conditions as existing pupils, but with the proviso that class group sizes in some popular subjects (such as Chemistry) would have to be limited, with priority to existing pupils. I believe the fall-out from existing pupils is quite low, but due either to wanting unavailable subject combinations, more girls (!), more of a college atmosphere or very rarely would someone be "encouraged" to further their studies elsewhere.....
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

It looks like the conclusion to this thread is that the numbers don't necessarily prove that pupils vote against schools "with their feet" but that it does give some indication of relative popularity of schools at A level.

Thanks to all who answered.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now