results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Please don't use the PASS/FAIL words - use 'qualified/ didn't qualify' - standardisation means that the same score /80 might be 121+ one year and not another.
We can call it what we want 'qualify/didn't qualify', 'blue/green', etc. but the children will say 'pass/fail' to each other. That's the nature of selective education and one of the arguments against it. We have to accept that these discussions will occur amongst children of this age, even if we believe the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. As a rule children of 10/11 are simply not mature enough to handle it another way.

Geoffrey

Post by Guest »

Guest55 wrote:Please don't use the PASS/FAIL words - use 'qualified/ didn't qualify' - standardisation means that the same score /80 might be 121+ one year and not another.
lol. This post if made of pure fail!
out of county mum

He passed!

Post by out of county mum »

Got my son's result in post this morning and he passed (hurray) was not expecting it until tomorrow so big surprise!

Post by Guest »

Well done...so pleased for you....

I'll probably won't know when I get home tonight from work we're going to open the envelope then....v. nervous.

As a reward we pre ordered a game he wanted which was due to be released today they've messed up the order and not shipped the order until today they apologised and offered a voucher. However I'm still going to buy him one tonight and return the other one when it arrives...

What a nightmare!!!......
guest1

scores

Post by guest1 »

Does score matters for getting into grammar after qualification ?
chez

results

Post by chez »

Hi,

My daughter has passed!What a relief. We should have a stress free weekend.

Chez
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Score is irrelevant - it's the distance from the school that counts.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Geoffrey,guest

The language used by adults is important - I teach in a GS so am speaking from some authority here. Adults need to give the lead - we don't want some children thinking they are 'better' than other - they are different, that's all.
I have seen parent stop their children being friends with those on the wrong side of 121 - the barrier is so artificial too! This years '121' may have been 119 0r 123 in another year - there are the same number of GS places but cohorts vary in number ....
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Guest55 I completely agree with you. When my daughter was deemed 'selective' she was so happy however she received a text message from the best friend with two words:
i failed.

Far from feeling inferior or better she just felt absolutely gutted, it really took the shine off her earlier happiness, and to be honest she still feels a bit like that now, a week later. :cry:

That said, CONGRATS to all you Bucks folk that made it and to those who didn't you couldn't have done any more, just hug and kiss your little ones and tell them its fine. :)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Guest 55,

I wasn't saying that what we say as adults to the children isn't important. I didn't use 'pass/fail' to any of my own children or other people's. We've had experience of both in our house and it's not easy for the child who doesn't make it when their siblings/friends have.

All I'm saying that we need to be realistic about how the children themselves will feel and how they will talk about it to each other. The biggest argument against selection has always been that it makes many children feel like failures at a young age. We can try to alleviate that to some extent, but we can't ignore it.

Geoffrey