12+ and 13+ information for 2016 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BlueBerry22

Re: 12+ and 13+ information for 2016 entry

Post by BlueBerry22 »

sorry G55 - I meant things involving x's and y's - might be called algebra?? - not even sure what calculus is so don't know where I got that from!!
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

BlueBerry22 wrote:Do you know where she fell down in 11+ ?
- high scores on the maths/NVR, but completely messed up on English (which didn't help being 50% of mark). Just not sure what went wrong, 5a in reading in SATs (comprehension usually very strong), weaker in writing (5c) but generally due to messy writing (scored 92% in spelling/grammar paper in SATs so good there) and reading age was 14 yrs. DC is a slow but methodical reader, think that may be where they messed up. Read the passages twice in 11+ to ensure they knew all the facts but then time was short to answer questions, so rushed through them - have suggested that this time DC perhaps just read once through :roll: Blueberry I think your suggestion of short bursts, build up speed is probably the way to go.

Bumblebeez which First Past the Post apps did you buy?
Heartmum x x x
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I read your review/appeal carefully as it mirrors my two's experience. DC3 decided not to go for 12/13+ in the end as he was happy where he was and we are blessed with a good Upper. Had I realised DC4 was going the same way with his transfer test then I would certainly have practiced more speed reading. Also vocab, vocab, vocab but you probably know that. :roll: Still shocked though about how badly DC4 did in that section so not sure how good my advice is :cry:
Bumblebeez

Post by Bumblebeez »

Bumblebeez which First Past the Post apps did you buy?
11+ Maths, 11+ Vocab, 11+ NVR. There's enough there, with homework, to keep her busy. She was bored with the books I had.
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Reading with interest as dd passed the 12plus 2 years ago. We went down the route of doing no prep whatsoever and leaving it in the hands of fate so to speak. I think it paid off, as she was very relaxed about the whole exam, therefore I'm sure it took away any pressure that maybe the 11plus had had on her.

She's now doing great at her local Grammar and having no trouble keeping up with those that were there from the outset. Good Luck to you all. It's a long journey, but if you truly believe that your child is suitable for Grammar school, go for it!
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Received confirmation today for 12+ test ... however the comment "... please be aware that there is an unprecedented volume of applications for testing, which means that extra sessions have had to be scheduled." - leads one to ask the question, why so many applications? Perhaps the new 11+ / review & appeals process is flawed after all! 8)
Heartmum x x x
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

heartmum wrote:why so many applications? Perhaps the new 11+ / review & appeals process is flawed after all! 8)
Well I certainly think that's true!! As one who has been through the wringer with both processes and come out damaged at the other end!!! :roll: :roll: :lol: :cry: :evil:

We have now taken the decision to withdraw from the process and DD2 will not be taking the 12+. For various reasons :
1. She is now at an excellent, rated outstanding, comprehensive in Maidenhead - after a change at October half term - doing very well, loves school, happy, getting good grades, in top sets. Their results for the more academic girls are just as good as the grammar - and actually I think she is benefitting from being a bigger fish in a smaller pond as happens in this scenario. I have no doubt she will do as well there as anywhere - and its much more local than the grammar we wanted!
2. I do not want to run the risk of further disappointment with either a failed 12+, or, almost worse, a passed 12+ but no place in a local grammar school to move to as there are very few places, if any, available. The whole emotional upheaval of the year of the 11+ took its toll - and we have only recently recovered!

So that's us - I will withdraw our entry - and we may thrown our hat back in after GCSE's if needed!! Or even at 13+ if needed (although I doubt that!! :roll: )

Good luck to everyone with your own decisions! :)
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Booklady I personally think you have made a sensible decision and it resonates with our situation for DC3. Point 1 is a very important point and I can concur that DC2 (who attended a Grammar but now goes to an Upper) has benefited in this way and I suspect so has DC3. The hassle for us being that despite going to review for DC4 because DC wants it so much I still think DC would be better off going to our local Upper so whatever answer we get will be a disappointment in some form and so I continue to be put me off the whole system.

I do accept for those people stuck with a poorly performing school, Grammars can sometimes be their only option and we have experienced this. Interestingly the school we sort to avoid was turned into an Academy and over four years later is still failing - so much for Academies being the answer Government take note!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Tolstoy wrote:Interestingly the school we sort to avoid was turned into an Academy and over four years later is still failing - so much for Academies being the answer Government take note!
Government knows perfectly well, Tolstoy - they intended it thus. Turning schools into academies is just a way of devolving the funding away from central Government and allowing it (Government) to take a punitive role, via OFSTED, in pointing out and dealing with 'failure' or, conversely, excellence, while washing its hands of the increasingly difficult questions around staffing, pupil recruitment and morale.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Indeed - once you become an Academy any 'special measures' designation is cancelled - a good way of reducing the number of failing schools!