12+ and 13+ information for 2016 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

12+ and 13+ information for 2016 entry

Post by Guest55 »

The information is now on Bucks CC website:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sch ... dure-2016/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dino2003

Re: 12+ and 13+ information for 2016 entry

Post by dino2003 »

Thanks for the info.
I thought it's only verbal reasoning for burnham.
Now its verbal , non verbal and numerical ability.
Please guide me how to prepare him....any relevant books etc or any good tuition help for 12 plus.
This time I really want to get it right. As in 11 plus I lack knowledge and there was no tuition.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The Transfer Test included all of those ... so it's CEM preparation.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Looking at the 12+ information, the 12+ exam for the grammars I would be considering for DC are computer based tests rather than pen/paper. I note that the 11+ forum shop offer interactive CDs for verbal/non-verbal and maths; would this be more suitable for DC to use to get her used to working on the computer. I've only, up till now, purchased the paper/books from here to use, what are other people's experience with these? In addition, if anyone has taken these tests, do the children have draft paper/pencils to use for any workings out? Thanks :)
Heartmum x x x
Kata girl

Post by Kata girl »

Hi heartmum
Our DD passed the 12 + in March this year. It was a CEM computer based test. She's away this weekend so can't ask but relying on my memory I phoned Bucks and asked if they could have paper and pen. They said they would supply it and she didn't need any equipment however if I remember correctly she was only given it for certain parts of the test then it was removed. A key point which I posted elsewhere was that I think the test may have been adaptive. We were never really told explicitly and it didn't seem adaptive when she did the online mini practice test a week or so before but she came out of the test and seemed devastated she said there were really hard questions and question types she'd never seen before for numerical reasoning (Eccentric's DD said the same apparently). However as my DD passed I wondered if it was adaptive it hadn't occurred to me before. You can google adaptive computer tests to see what happens and how to approach them-or ask Bucks directly if they are adaptive.
DD did nearly all her prep as paper based and passed however near the end to keep momentum going we bought the First Past the Post apps. We would recommend them but there are so many permutations of how you can use them your DC may need supervision to stay on task.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Thanks kata girl, advice really appreciated :)
Heartmum x x x
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

After virtually doing little to no academic work after the May SATs thought I see how DC was in relation to work. Mentioned some maths/comprehension work and DC just went and did the papers; completed very quickly, with virtually no errors and no complaining. Their comment, even if it doesn't get me the 12+ at least it'll keep me focussed for school. Very proud of DCs attitude, seems to have matured so much this year in terms of work ethic. Lets hope it continues :lol:
Heartmum x x x
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Kata girl wrote:Hi heartmum
Our DD passed the 12 + in March this year. It was a CEM computer based test. She's away this weekend so can't ask but relying on my memory I phoned Bucks and asked if they could have paper and pen. They said they would supply it and she didn't need any equipment however if I remember correctly she was only given it for certain parts of the test then it was removed. A key point which I posted elsewhere was that I think the test may have been adaptive. We were never really told explicitly and it didn't seem adaptive when she did the online mini practice test a week or so before but she came out of the test and seemed devastated she said there were really hard questions and question types she'd never seen before for numerical reasoning (Eccentric's DD said the same apparently). However as my DD passed I wondered if it was adaptive it hadn't occurred to me before. You can google adaptive computer tests to see what happens and how to approach them-or ask Bucks directly if they are adaptive.
DD did nearly all her prep as paper based and passed however near the end to keep momentum going we bought the First Past the Post apps. We would recommend them but there are so many permutations of how you can use them your DC may need supervision to stay on task.
Just backing up everything that Katagirl says. In addition - paper was only allowed for problem solving maths, nothing else. It was on a computer for 1.5 hours so anyone whose DC is taking it, I would prepare them for that ( it is a long time to be on a computer with no break). There were a number of question types that DD had not seen at all but I didn't prepare her extensively just did a few Bond on line timed exercises and one CGP timed paper test. The Bond on line was pointless according to DD as it was way too easy. The CGP test was more helpful in terms of type of question but still not representative according to DD. the reason that my DD didn't pass was not because of academic ability but because she couldn't use computers due to a medical condition. There was no adaptation available for her.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Just looked at one of the Grammar schools in-year admission criterea and noted changes. Highest agregate score on test is now part of their criterea and comes directly after Catchment, preceding sibling criterea. Is this usual in Bucks? Imwas under the impression it was a distinct no no. It could start a bit of a snowball effect amongst schools and surely it wouldn't be long before it crept into the 11+.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I can't find the updated information on the RGS site. I may be going mad but if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks.

:oops: Now I see it - but sure it wasn't there when I posted! Though there isn't a timetable showing when the tests are.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now