Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Pass test - get place?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:38 pm 

I was told today that the new 'rules' say that if a child passes the transfer test in Bucks that they automatically get a place at the Grammar school of their choice regardless of whether the school is over capacity or not. Is this true? If so how on earth are the more popular schools going to cope with numbers? Does this mean that anyone OOC can take places too irrespective of how far they live away? iF it is true, It doesn't make sense.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:41 pm 

What 'new rules', I wonder? I've not seen any changes in the admissions policies or the procedure.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:52 pm 

I don't know about them either. Just what I was told. I am not saying it is right. I just wondered if anyone else had heard anything?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:56 pm 

Eccentric wrote:
I was told today that the new 'rules' say that if a child passes the transfer test in Bucks that they automatically get a place at the Grammar school of their choice regardless of whether the school is over capacity or not. Is this true?

No, it isn't true. As the test approaches, it's silly season for stupid rumours like this. :roll:

The Admissions Policies for all the grammar schools were consulted upon and finalised in the spring. They cannot change in the interim (unless it is just to correct an error), and they are published, as they have to be by law, on each school's website for all to read.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:00 pm 

It did sound a bit strange.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:02 pm 

Eccentric wrote:
It did sound a bit strange.

Or wishful thinking, of course?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:34 pm 

It was actually someone who works at the school.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:55 pm 

Eccentric wrote:
It was actually someone who works at the school.

They're often the worst! I had a PM along similar lines from a parent who had been told by someone (who had allegedly been told by someone working at a Bucks grammar school) that "OoC students needed to score over 90% this year to get a place because there were hundreds of extra in-catchment applications this year".

A few minor points wrong with that:

1. OoC children need to score 121, just like everyone else.

2. Where did all those "hundreds" of extra children in catchment come from, when the number of feeder schools hasn't changed?

3. Applications for school places aren't in yet!

4. Applications for school places do not go directly to the GSs. No one at the school will know the official numbers applying until around January, when Admissions send out the preference numbers.

Every year ... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:03 pm 

Then along comes the one about having to put a school at the top of your list to have any hope of getting it. A new one to me is that first come first serve for primary schools, so a colleague was going to stay up until midnight to get her application in first "to be sure of a place".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:21 pm 

scary mum wrote:
A new one to me is that first come first serve for primary schools, so a colleague was going to stay up until midnight to get her application in first "to be sure of a place".

Oh, dear, I really do wonder if some people can read?

I did away with the old "Myths & Legends" Sticky after we moved from GL to CEM, but I fear it is time to resurrect it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next