Spaces in year 7 at RGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BucksBornNBred

Re: Spaces in year 7 at RGS

Post by BucksBornNBred »

MrsH173015 wrote:My friend's son got one of the places. They were extremely pleased as you can imagine. I am delighted to report they are in county (in fact also in catchment). He has made a happy start this week.
Fantastic on all counts - I wish him all the best :)

Has anyone heard about the WHS places? I am still working on an accidental meeting with the parent of the girl who might have attempted it :wink:
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

MrsH173015 wrote:My friend's son got one of the places. They were extremely pleased as you can imagine. I am delighted to report they are in county (in fact also in catchment). He has made a happy start this week.
How lovely for them :) wish it had been us too :roll: after messing up in the 11+ this test pass was definitely what was needed to boost DCs confidence :)
Heartmum x x x
MrsH173015

Post by MrsH173015 »

Ah, thank you! Good luck in the 12+ Heartmum and everyone else taking. The whole 11+ is such a gut-wrenching system. I've thankfully finished now - 3 children through with Ds1 and Ds 3 passing and middle one not so I've seen both sides of the coin. DS2 congratulated my youngest with gusto and then his smile faded and he said 'I guess that makes me the dumbest in the family then." Broke my heart. Just waiting for DS3 school allocation now 1st March ....!
Daisy1

Post by Daisy1 »

My daughter sat the year 7 transfer for WHS. About 20 took exam. There were 6 places and my daughter managed to get one of those places. We are just over a mile from the school. I know of at least 2 others that passed and live in Bucks.

It feels like a very long time has passed since 11 plus, selection review and then failed appeal hearing. She has finished her first week at her new school and she is very settled and it definitely feels to us that she is in the right place.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Daisy1 wrote:My daughter sat the year 7 transfer for WHS. About 20 took exam. There were 6 places and my daughter managed to get one of those places. We are just over a mile from the school. I know of at least 2 others that passed and live in Bucks.

It feels like a very long time has passed since 11 plus, selection review and then failed appeal hearing. She has finished her first week at her new school and she is very settled and it definitely feels to us that she is in the right place.
So lovely to hear some good news :) after the pain and heartbreak of the 11+ ... it's great that she is happy at her new school X x x
Heartmum x x x
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

BucksBornNBred wrote:I bumped into one of the parents I thought had tried for RGS today (ok, well, maybe I slightly engineered the occasion :wink: ). It appears her son did take the RGS test and he is also on the waiting list, but as she didn't offer the info of what position he was in, I didn't like to ask. She did say his 11+ score had been too low to consider appeal, so he is feeling better in himself for his achievement this time round :D

Stories like this just add fuel to the thinking of how flawed this sytem is relying on a one day test so reliant on tutoring to pass is. All these DC are well deserving of a place regardless of being on a waiting list or not and sadly so are many more who will not have been given the oppportunity to try again.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Tolstoy wrote:... Stories like this just add fuel to the thinking of how flawed this sytem is relying on a one day test so reliant on tutoring to pass is. All these DC are well deserving of a place regardless of being on a waiting list or not and sadly so are many more who will not have been given the oppportunity to try again.
A one day test, the pressure it brings on that child is huge - 'silly' mistakes on the day, making an error in completing that 'mark' on the answer sheet, can be the difference between qualifying or not! At least with the old test it allowed for a 'bad' day and a second chance - this is not an option! The review/appeal system is meant to be there for that purpose, but having experienced that system this too is fallible.

For the actual 11+ (with two older DCs at grammar) there was so much pressure on DC to qualify as he wanted to be with his DCs; he messed up in one area of the test, that was all it took. For the RGS test, he didn't even know until that week I had put him in for it, with no practice. I just said to him to enjoy the experience and not worry about the result. He did just that, he said initially he felt nervous, but once sitting down in his allocated seat actually enjoyed the test and the experience. He felt no pressure and qualified - on waiting list!

The only justification is knowing that we (parents) were right, we do know our child, and the review panel were wrong! It may not change the situation but a nice feeling nevertheless 8)
Heartmum x x x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Well done to him for qualifying - it's a shame places weren't allocated on distance as they are at 11+.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Tolstoy wrote:
BucksBornNBred wrote:I bumped into one of the parents I thought had tried for RGS today (ok, well, maybe I slightly engineered the occasion :wink: ). It appears her son did take the RGS test and he is also on the waiting list, but as she didn't offer the info of what position he was in, I didn't like to ask. She did say his 11+ score had been too low to consider appeal, so he is feeling better in himself for his achievement this time round :D

Stories like this just add fuel to the thinking of how flawed this sytem is relying on a one day test so reliant on tutoring to pass is. All these DC are well deserving of a place regardless of being on a waiting list or not and sadly so are many more who will not have been given the oppportunity to try again.
+1 Tolstoy. Let's hope those on the waiting list also have a good day for the 12+.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now