Maths Support - accurate but slow ... Kumon or something els

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Delilah

Maths Support - accurate but slow ... Kumon or something els

Post by Delilah »

Daughter just started Yr 5 - her mental maths is SLOW but accurate - what is the best way to support her? Kumon - or are there any other online resources that others would recommend...
Marylou

Re: Maths Support - accurate but slow ... Kumon or something

Post by Marylou »

There's a special Maths Challenge offer on https://www.themathsfactor.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; at the moment - just a pound but registrations have to be in by end of tomorrow.
Marylou
alana

Post by alana »

I found this book really improved my kids mental arithmetic. Not as sit down exercises, but more on the go just reading them out.

The "Daily Mail" 30 Second Challenge
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Daily-Mail-30-S ... +challenge

I had version 1 which you can only get second hand now. But it looks like a completely new version was published this year.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Our resident maths teacher is Guest55, but she doesn't seem to have been around for a while. However, I know that she doesn't rate Kumon as she feels it is boring & repetitive (sorry to take your name in vain G55).
scary mum
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

In another region, but my Cousin, a Deputy Head, gave up her role and started a Kumon, franchise.

She was always happy with what she was doing from a qualitative perspective, but she ditched her franchise in the end, not because of the quality, but more the need to be focused on business activities e.g. marketing, rather than the pure Joy of teaching (with a guaranteed salary), rather than endless promotion, to then be able to deliver some quality.

She is now back in a primary.

We never considered Kumon for 11+, so I will leave it to more directly experienced people to comment on their experience of the delivery and its relevance. PS just lurking round the other regions and seeing what's going on
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Our primary school has signed up for Mathletics http://www.mathletics.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, which is great for children's homework and practising maths from all areas of the curriculum as well as mental maths at speed at various levels. It's fun and they can play maths races against other children around the globe. My DS loves it and the speed of his mental maths has already improved. It is possible to buy an individual subscription and it is very affordable.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Our Primary - which required improvement until recently uses

mymaths.co.uk

I really like this because of

1) lessons
2) Tests
3) Test reports and cumulative scores
4) Parents and teacher monitoring and reporting.
5) Most importantly boosters, for stretch and challenge.
maxtom

Post by maxtom »

I would try and work out whether there are any specific areas of maths that are slowing her down. With my ds I realised he didn't know all of his times tables off by heart so was working out some of them. That was fine for school and homework but really slowed him down in a timed test. This only took a few minutes a day extra practice and had a big impact on his mental maths speed. It might be worth trying to pinpoint if your daughter has any similar areas that are slowing her down as you might be able to help her without needing tutoring.