feeling nervous!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
thefirs

Re: feeling nervous!

Post by thefirs »

The fall back isn't amazing but dc has powered on as let's face it he did get 119/119 in his 11plus. Should have been a gs student but was marked as lazy, he still is incredibly chilled !!!

Sounds like u guys are def on the edge ! All this talk of scores makes me ill ! I'm not reading other threads, but we have done st clem entrance and will get the score from that on 19th so hoping that could be my fallback.

Is the word on the street the test was "easy" ???? That's a worry as u say ...... :shock:
Daffy

Post by Daffy »

Don't know if easy as have been getting conflicting messages but the consensus seems to be it was easier than last year but you're right, am on the edge so probably not quite assessing the situation objectively! :lol:

Great that you have the St Clem as a back up thefirs.

I have heard so many stories of gs type DCs not getting the qualified score and the worry over the test being 'easy' or easier, plus the standardisation worry and OOC taking the Bucks test as a free mock so stress is definitely creeping in.

My DH is so relaxed about it all. Wish I could take half of that from him :lol:
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I have been known to use the mad face but very rarely. It is most definitely disturbing. :lol: DS is middle of the year so standardisation effect will be minimal as it does seem a little scary if that loss of 23 marks wasn't a mistake but down to easy test and September birth.

Also still wondering if we had the same test as the Super Saturday crowd. Suppose we won't know until they can start mentioning content.

All mine can remember is the theme of the Comprehension, not terribly helpful. Apparently if I had wanted him to remember stuff I should have asked him before he sat it, he tells me. I rather sensibly felt he had more important things to be concerning himself with at the time not feed back :roll:

Re easy tests one of mine did one a couple of years back, finished both papers with way too much time to spare and spent it doodling on the scrap paper . I was most unimpressed. :x
duffymoon

Post by duffymoon »

Daffy wrote:Just read the raw score debate on the Bexley region and now even more stressed!!!

If the test was easier this year then almost perfect marks are required for an older DC which my DD is! :(

Anyone got any valium please?
Thats making me very nervous too. My DC is also one of the eldest so will need top marks. If the test was easier this year, then like you say, they're going to need perfect marks which is a real concern.

DC is in top sets for maths and literacy, and had good levels at end of year 5, so everything points in the right direction, but I know that's no guarantee they'll get that all important 121.

I'll have some of that valium too please !
Kiwimum

Post by Kiwimum »

Oh dear! I wasn't that worried until I read this thread!
Ds is October born so the standardisation could hurt and he did think the test was easy, easier than we had been doing at home anyway.
He's got his heart set on a particular grammar school which all his friends have chosen, can't help but think there are going to be some disappointed children (and parents!) on Friday.

Good luck to you all, it's been such hard work and they deserve our praise and support no matter what the outcome.
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

I think there is some misunderstanding here about the standardisation process.

No marks are taken away from a child because of their birthday. The standardisation process works by comparing the performance of the cohort of children in each birth month and also is supposed to iron out any differences in difficulty of the tests between years. So September born children are standardised with other September children, October with October and so on through the year. It is theoretically possible that the cohort of children born in the following August could outperform the September children though I don't know if that has ever happened! There are no marks given or taken away in the standardisation process.

The Bucks test is not marks "out of 180" - that is merely the standardised score. 180 used to be the highest score in the old GL Assessment tests, though I think last year the scores went up to 199 or similar. The only constant is that the qualifying score remains 121.

I know at this stage it's very difficult to stop worrying but the wait will soon be over. Wishing you and your DCs all the very best.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Goodluck to yours too Kiwimum. I think it's best not to worry about age standardisation. I've had older DC sitting in the past and they were fine, even the one who did the easy test and doodled for much of it got the school he wanted.

Does anyone know if there were a lot of external sitters this year? Just thinking about the tourist mock sitters that has become an issue for standardising. I know the Glocs admission codes are saying only one CEM mark will be counted and guess others are too so perhaps it will have put some of them off.

That would make it a slightly less nervous wait. :wink:

Clash with Lillie who has explained in depth the standardising issue.

Edit However Lillie have you looked at the raw post we are referring to. The DC lost 23 standardised marks because he got one question wrong in Maths :shock:
Last edited by Tolstoy on Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thefirs

Post by thefirs »

Today I'm not having a good day !

Valium and whiskey day !

Dc spend all morning saying how he was gonna pass and he will get on the bus with his big bro :shock:

It's made me all emosh! Can't bare it. Sorry I knew u guys would understand, anyone else would just think I was totally nuts. :lol: :lol:

As for standardisation well , it is what it is, and if they didn't do it it wouldn't be fair on those babies of the year. This is my only April born, my others are sept, oct, Nov !
Dadcool

Post by Dadcool »

Hi,
Can't bear the tension :(
Is result expected by Royal mail or email ?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Know what you mean thefirs. Mine is talking pessimistically but he has fessed up occasionally that he could do the paper so deep down is fairly hopeful.

On the pessimistic front, can never be too organised, does anyone know how long you have to decide whether to put forward a review case? I know the HT will advise but with a busy half term ahead and schools to visit the week before I can see time running away with us once these results are finally in.

clashed Dadcool we will be getting ours by pupil post :)

Pretty certain they will not send emails