How much is enough for swbgs?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

desimom

How much is enough for swbgs?

Post by desimom »

Hi All,

Congratulations to all the parents whose DCs have achieved desired results.
My DD had appeared for bucks and berks exams and passed both very well. Scores - above121 for bucks and 122 for slough respectively.

My problem starts here - ALL the other children in DD's school group who are more or less the same ability have achieved significantly higher than her in bucks exam. All are in the range of [score to score] My DD, although passed well, has a score of [removed by Moderator]. I am now a little worried if this score will be good enough for her to get into William borlase? I understand that last year all in catchment kids got in. We are in catchment for borlase. I am just worried as there seem to be quite a lot of good scorers around this year.

Please help.

Thanks,
Desimom
Sally-Anne

Re: How much is enough for swbgs?

Post by Sally-Anne »

Please see this thread: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=44245" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

I know Sally Anne has already answered this and apologies for what is a general rant BUT if you're going to enter your child for an exam PLEASE read the admissions procedure in advance!

As everyone who has taken the Bucks 11+ should know a score of 121 or above is deemed a qualified score - indeed this was explained quite clearly on the results letter. As all the admissions policies - SWBGS included - state admission is then essentially catchment and then distance.

Your dd has scored 121 or above so therefore is qualified.

Bucks has a really simple admissions / qualification procedure I really really really don't understand why people are still asking the same question time and again! :roll:
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

kittymum wrote:Bucks has a really simple admissions / qualification procedure I really really really don't understand why people are still asking the same question time and again! :roll:
Ridiculous, isn't it? It's especially poor when it's asked by parents from miles away and well outside Bucks. There are some Bucks posters who have carefully read and understood the selection and admissions procedures, prepared their children well for the test and sadly, fallen a little short of the required result. To be faced by posters, some of whom live long distances from Bucks and who have clearly just blindly entered their children into the process without any prior research or understanding, asking questions they really shouldn't need to ask, must be galling. Especially when it is likely that some of those distant qualifying children have displaced capable catchment children in the standardisation process yet because their parents haven't a clue about admissions, won't take up the place.

For some, it's clear that securing a place at grammar school is of enormous importance. So important that they don't bother to read the readily-available and clear guidance around selection and admissions?
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Agree totally anotherdad it's made me very angry for all the reasons you mentioned.

I fail to understand the thinking of people who have entered every exam going but don't understand how a child even qualifies! How can people do this to their children?

I am catchment for Kendrick but didn't enter the exam as it is an awful journey! My dd (like her brother before) sat Bucks (the county we live in) and will go to SWBGS - on the Bucks school bus which runs past our house.

Just because you can enter something doesn't mean you should.
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

:roll: Having not checked in for a few years I am gobsmacked to see how prevalent this has become and how frequently people ask the same question despite increasingly blunt replies to other posters who have asked the same thing. Sorry to be rude but they are either living in a complete self contained bubble or are very thick skinned.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I've come along too late topost my giant "121" again. Blast.
scary mum
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

scary mum wrote:I've come along too late topost my giant "121" again. Blast.
Awwww you can do it anyway :D and sadly I fear there may be further opportunities!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

kittymum wrote:
scary mum wrote:I've come along too late topost my giant "121" again. Blast.
Awwww you can do it anyway :D and sadly I fear there may be further opportunities!
:lol: :lol:
scary mum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Whoa, folks! I think the rant is probably somewhat misplaced here.

Desimom makes it clear that she is in catchment for SWBGS, although I suspect that she lives in the Berks part of the catchment area, so she isn't necessarily going to have had the same amount of information automatically fed to her by schools and the system as a whole.

Her DC took Bucks and Berks, which people have done forever.

Although it would be nice to think that everyone who submits their child for 2 or 3 (local) tests/schools for which they might be eligible will read and recall every line of each admissions policy, that is wishful thinking. Even when they do, people can still misunderstand the system, get things wrong, get confused, etc.

Some people will remember the mum who forgot to submit her address evidence for DCGS on time (even before the 1st April deadline was introduced), and it eventually transpired that there was not only a sibling connection but it was her third DS!

Desimom has clearly read up enough to find out that she lives in SWBGS catchment, she knows that score is important for Slough, and all she has done is get her wires crossed between Slough and Bucks.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now