Bucks 11+ test dates 2016 (2017 admission)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sally-Anne

Re: Bucks 11+ test dates 2016 (2017 admission)

Post by Sally-Anne »

scary mum wrote:Sally Anne, as a matter pf interest, how many were from OOC but not close by. I mean Ealing, Wembley, Harrow etc? Not broken down by place, but just overall? Or is it all mixed up with the close by OOC people?
I crunched that data yesterday, but I haven't got time to post it all now.

Apart from big contingents from Slough and MK, the vast majority of the rest are from Greater London - the biggest areas are Harrow (158), Hounslow (110) and Pinner (100). There are however quite a lot of applicants from further-flung boroughs that really aren't within allocation range. Ealing (52), Stanmore (13), Wembley (8), etc.

If I were a real techno-wizard I would plot them on a map, as someone did for one of the N/London schools over on Herts. May see what I can do ...
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Sally-Anne wrote:
scary mum wrote:Sally Anne, as a matter pf interest, how many were from OOC but not close by. I mean Ealing, Wembley, Harrow etc? Not broken down by place, but just overall? Or is it all mixed up with the close by OOC people?
I crunched that data yesterday, but I haven't got time to post it all now.

Apart from big contingents from Slough and MK, the vast majority of the rest are from Greater London - the biggest areas are Harrow (158), Hounslow (110) and Pinner (100). There are however quite a lot of applicants from further-flung boroughs that really aren't within allocation range. Ealing (52), Stanmore (13), Wembley (8), etc.

If I were a real techno-wizard I would plot them on a map, as someone did for one of the N/London schools over on Herts. May see what I can do ...
Wow! I must say I don't really consider Hounslow to be close either, and I know you don't either, but I guess they do get BGS from there. Harrow& Pinner I can sort of understand for Chesham but nearly 300 of them - lots using it as a free mock, I imagine. These numbers really are significant & it will be fascinating to see if they decrease next year, or if we still have people trundling around the country taking every exam "just in case". Poor kids.
scary mum
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

scary mum wrote: Harrow & Pinner I can sort of understand for Chesham but nearly 300 of them
I would guess the number is higher if you also add in Northwood & Ruislip. Some of the children from these areas will also apply to Challeners (likelyhood of getting a place does not seem to factor into the decision making process for many in these areas). Bear in mind they have 6 places on their CAF form.

I imagine the number applying to Bucks schools would be much, much higher if it wasn't for the SW Herts schools (offering the bonus of a sibling place). All but one of my guides at the SW Herts Schools open days were from the Harrow area (19 in total).
scary mum wrote: lots using it as a free mock, I imagine. These numbers really are significant & it will be fascinating to see if they decrease next year, or if we still have people trundling around the country taking every exam "just in case". Poor kids.
Again I would suspect that those in the Harrow area are not using it as a mock and I don't think you will see a big drop in tourists either. There seems to be more and more people who are sitting tests in multiple areas with the intention of moving nearer if they get a place. This is certainly the case for SW Herts.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

OK, let's see if this works: http://www.mapcustomizer.com/map/2015_locations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Let me know if you can see it - it might just be a cookie on my PC!)

The GSs are green, locations of applicants are red.

I put the locations in pretty randomly, so the numbers on the markers mean nothing. You can see the number of applicants by hovering your mouse over the markers.

I've left out the "other" for each area because we can't identify where they came from, e.g. "West Berkshire" or "Herts (Other)".

N.B. The data used was the location of the child's primary school, not their Home LEA. I might try to do that one later, although I don't think the pattern will change much.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

thanks Sally Anne - very interesting - one thing which struck me was that tgere were onky 14 from Henley (very easy, quick journey from Marlow - many live in one and work in the other and 72 from Reading (hideously awful journey!)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Oh, good, you can see it! :D
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

kittymum wrote:thanks Sally Anne - very interesting - one thing which struck me was that tgere were onky 14 from Henley (very easy, quick journey from Marlow - many live in one and work in the other and 72 from Reading (hideously awful journey!)
Yes, but relatively quick & easy on the train to BGS (or a mock for Reading schools - don't know if they are CEM?). Maybe Henley is too far away from SWBGS for them to get in?
Very interesting map, thank you S-A
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Reading schools do use cem, but we do seem to get a few who apply to Bucks and Slough from around here. I think one in my DDs year went to Burnham.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Tinkers wrote:Reading schools do use cem, but we do seem to get a few who apply to Bucks and Slough from around here. I think one in my DDs year went to Burnham.
Yes, both my DSs have people in their year from Reading. As journeys go, it isn't too bad (assuming you live near Reading station) - the walk from Burnham station is about 10-15 minutes.
scary mum
missmarple

Post by missmarple »

Thank you Sally-Anne; this information is both useful and horrifying. Can we not have a rule that says you must live within 15 miles of a grammar school in order to sit the test? I am absolutely livid that deserving local children are being denied places at our local grammar schools.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now