Thorpe House School in GX???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Newbie121

Re: Thorpe House School in GX???

Post by Newbie121 »

Which school is your son in at the moment?
Bucksfizz

Post by Bucksfizz »

He's at a state school in Northwood Hills. We haven't moved him yet as I work around there so it's ok short term to take him there. But need to move him from sept.

Are there any stats showing what the pass rate is for 11plus transfer test, at the primary schools in GX and Chalfont st Peter?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It will vary with the cohort in all schools; data is on the Bucks website but it will be down to tutoring or DIY by parents - no school can coach for the Transfer Test..

Have you asked Admissions which local schools have vacancies?

Ask about St Joseph's and CSP Academy both in CSP and there's also Chalfont St Giles Junior - all three are rated by parents.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/2651981 ... l-area.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Remember it will vary each year - in small cohorts a few children one way or the other (qualifying or not) may make a huge difference in percentage terms.
scary mum
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

my son can be lost in a class of 30!!
Bucksfizz, just wanted to point out that the boys' GSs in Bucks all have classes of 30…
bgh

Post by bgh »

scary mum wrote:http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/2651981 ... l-area.pdf

Remember it will vary each year - in small cohorts a few children one way or the other (qualifying or not) may make a huge difference in percentage terms.
Wow, I didn't know that data is available, thanks for sharing that link.

How does one find it on the BucksCC website? Are earlier years also available?
Brillo249

Post by Brillo249 »

Guest55 wrote:It will vary with the cohort in all schools; data is on the Bucks website but it will be down to tutoring or DIY by parents - no school can coach for the Transfer Test..
This is not entirely true in practice. The independent 'partner' schools are not allowed to coach for Transfer Test...and hence may not do it 'openly'. But I know for a fact that some do run 'study skills' sessions which are effectively Transfer Test training by another name.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If they do that Brillo then the Headteacher will be signing a piece of paper falsely - all partner schools have to confirm in writing that the follow the Bucks guidelines.

They are at risk of losing their 'partner' status.
Bucksfizz

Post by Bucksfizz »

thank you all for the info. Will now make a more informed decision.
Thanks again
Brillo249

Post by Brillo249 »

Guest55 wrote:If they do that Brillo then the Headteacher will be signing a piece of paper falsely - all partner schools have to confirm in writing that the follow the Bucks guidelines.

They are at risk of losing their 'partner' status.
Well, I'm not running the school in question - just reporting what I observe. Given a lot of the parents concerned choose this school precisely to improve the chances of their offspring passing the Transfer Test, I'm not entirely surprised that the school chooses to take some effort in this regard (I think the parents expect it and don't care a huge amount about the school's 'partner status', just the outcome for their children...and these are the fee paying customers of the school).

I don't think the Transfer Test is ever mentioned by name....it just so happens that the skills and exam techniques they teach in 'study skills' may (by a complete coincidence...) prove helpful in tests such as, oh, perhaps 'The Transfer Test', or 'The Common Entrance Exam'.

I'm not going to name the school....as personally I was very pleased that they do this (although I have heard that it annoys the **** out of the heads at some of the local state primary schools in the area)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now