Subject Access Request?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
discodad

Subject Access Request?

Post by discodad »

Hi,
New to this forum. We are appealing son's 11+ exam result as he didn't pass. We asked for a subject access request (ie where they give you the 'raw scores' for each section of the test). We have received them but frankly, the information is a bit useless because although it says what his scores were on each section of the paper, it doesn't say what the total marks available for each section were, or what topic each section was (ie Verbal, NV, Maths etc). I believe it would help our case if we had this info but Bucks CC have said that CEM won't make this available.
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts?
Thanks.
Sally-Anne

Re: Subject Access Request?

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi discodad, and welcome!

I'm afraid you are on a hiding to nothing with this one, and CEM is absolutely intransigent on the matter.

There are exemptions under the DPA for certain information relating to examinations, and the one CEM is using to withhold the information appears to be this (from Page 53, here: https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organisati ... actice.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Information comprising the answers given by a candidate during an examination are exempt from the right of subject access. So a SAR cannot be used to obtain a copy of an individual’s examination script.
You could try challenging that through the Information Commissioner's Office, although it could be rather a lot of trouble for something that still might not prove what you are looking for.

I would advise you instead to focus your efforts on proving that the result (overall and in each of the three aspects of the test) did not reflect your son's ability.

Sally-Anne