Class sets - do they change?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BucksBornNBred

Class sets - do they change?

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Does anyone know if the GSs change the classes after year 7 based on end of year exams? Or do they stay in the original class for the entire school? How important are the end of year tests; are they just an ongoing assessment like the SATs? Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.
scary mum

Re: Class sets - do they change?

Post by scary mum »

I would have thought it would vary from school to school. Some GSs in Bucks don't set until year 8 & then only in maths.
scary mum
doodles

Post by doodles »

I can only speak for ds's school as I imagine each will be different.

They were in one class for yr 7 for all subjects and remained in the same class for year 8 but in year 8 they were set for maths and there was a bit of a shuffle for STEM too. The sets for maths were determined by the yr7 end of year exams.

In year 9 they have all been mixed up again so their classes are completely different and to mix it even further they were re-set for maths and set for French and German. Next year it's all change again as GCSE options come into the mix.

Throughout the school they do Games as a year group.

It's worked well for my DS as he's had a chance to get to know lots of different people but still remains in contact with good friends from yr7 and I can only take my hat off to the timetable planners who must be logistical geniuses.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

My DS is at JHGS, which I should have stated in my post! I don't think they set at yr7 but am not sure if they change forms around in yr 8 based on yr7 tests. DS finds his form a bit disruptive so just wondering if I could give him some "light at the end of the tunnel" for yr8 or if that has to wait until they split for GCSEs.

Thanks for the replies though :)
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

The forms are changed according to language choices for year 8 at JH, you should have had a form to fill in via e mail.

Maths and English are streamed by academic ability, both tests and on going staged assessments. However disruptive children can equally be highly intelligent or less so, unfortunately your son just needs to learn to work well in any environment whichever set he ends up in.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Thanks for the info SB3.

DS is good with all types (and from what I can tell is friends with those disruptive boys!). He is just a bit more serious in lessons and finds all the chatter annoying. The teachers recognised this at the PT meetings and said they were going to control the disruption (maybe they give yr7 boys a bit of slack in the first term?) but just wondered if they changed classes in year 8. And before anyone accuses me of encouraging DS's doubts I just want to know what happens so that I can be prepared for any future conversations with all the facts safely stored in my back pocket. :)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I've realised that you were asking about classes not sets for lessons. I don't think many would change classes around then. Some (such as Beaconsfield High I think) change them in year 9 but southbucks3 knows about JHGS.
scary mum
MrsH173015

Post by MrsH173015 »

My boy is at JHGS. As southbucks3 said they do completely rejig the forms in y8 dependent on language choices. Class then remains same through y8 and y9 (although half a dozen or so were moved where there were particular issues), then in y10 there's another complete mix up of forms again, largely dependent on GCSE choices. Please reassure your DS - the positive is he gets to know and work with just about every boy in the year and I'm sure he will naturally form friendships with like-minded boys.