Grammar School - if you know it's right, never give up!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
heartmum

Grammar School - if you know it's right, never give up!

Post by heartmum »

Sally-Anne & Etienne and all those who have shared our journey – I’ve not been around for a while due to family bereavement and personal illness but I truly wanted to share my experiences with you. It was a journey to say the least...

After DC failed to qualify for 2015 entry, with strong academic evidence including a very favourable Educational Psychologist report and extenuating circumstances for a medical condition only confirmed during that January 2015. We chose to go to review, only to find we were unsuccessful. However, on looking at the feedback noted that the school had failed to confirm DCs medical condition on the form, a letter confirming this may have affected DCs results was submitted for the subsequent appeal. However the panel did not feel that any error was made. We found the appeal very stressful and felt that the panel had made an error, so we put in a complaint to the EFA regarding this matter, only for it to be unsuccessful. We still fully stand by our argument that errors were made at the beginning of the review process and the failure of the school to confirm/complete specific information to be presented for review; we may have been unsuccessful however we are glad we challenged it at the time.

DC then moved on to their current secondary school. I contacted our catchment grammar schools to understand what their general levels of attainment were at the end of Y7, Y8 ... to compare to DCs. DC at the end of Y7 was at or even above those grammar school levels.

DC then chose to enter the 12+. However, this time there was a very close family bereavement and DC just didn’t really feel like taking the test, they did in the end but did not qualify. We felt it was not the time to make a big thing about this result, quietly went to appeal without DC knowing, but the panel (I still cannot understand why) did not feel that a very close family member’s death at the time was a contributory factor. DC moved on, but one day came to me and asked if they could have just one more chance at the 13+. I agreed and left it at that. DCs school work was always a high level, great reports of levels or attainment so thought that they would be ok and if it had not been for some bullying by certain children who seemed to dislike DCs attainments we may have considered keeping DC there. However it made DC even more adamant to do the test.

Roll on 7th April 2017 ... and in the post a letter. Inside confirming that not only had DC qualified in the 13+ but got one of the grammar schools of their choice and be with their older DC. Much laughing, crying and jumping around in our house. And one very happy child who knew they could do it ... they never gave up.

With all this family has been through with serious illness these last few years, just a simple comment when saying goodnight to a 13 year old can just make you into a sobbing mess ... “thank you mum for never giving up on me and believing in me and giving me this chance. I knew I could do it and you knew I could too. I can never bring back *** to tell them what I did but I know they are watching me from heaven, they believed in me too and told me never to give up on my dreams. I bet they are laughing and dancing right now.” I stroked their hair, gave them a hug and walked out with tears rolling down my face... I’m sure they are too X x x

I wanted to update people on our journey, a bumpy ride to say the least, but with all the help and support from wonderful people on this site who give up their own time to help/advise, they never complain - nothing is too much - I wouldn’t be here now. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart and if I can give hope to just one more person then I am happy.
Last edited by heartmum on Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Heartmum x x x
Sally-Anne

Re: Grammar School - if you know it's right, never give up!

Post by Sally-Anne »

I am simply delighted to hear the news. :D

It took a great deal of determination and persistence from both of you to achieve this result, and you should be justly very proud of it.

Enjoy the celebrations!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What role models you are and your dc are. All those setbacks and you never gave up and your dc was prepared to risk failure again and again.

I am sure you will both treasure this opportunity that you have worked so hard for.

You certainly will provide inspiration to many others.

Hearty congratulations. DG
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

What an inspirational story. I'm so thrilled for you all (and sorry for all the heartache). Children really do amaze me.

Thankyou for sharing this story. You all sound so deserving of this place so congratulations!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Another wonderful story of perseverance and ultimate success in the face of so many setbacks.

Now added to:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b54" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scroll down to the end of B54 for the entry (but note that Heartmum was one of the very first to think of - and offer congratulations to - someone else at the beginning of B54).

Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell and rose again.

:D
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Brilliant news! I am so delighted :D :D :D
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Many congratulations to you and your DC. I am sure your loved one would have been immensely proud of you both. A wonderful, inspirational story. x
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

That's great news Heartmum !!! Enjoy celebrating!! Sorry to hear of your difficult time over the last few years. dolly x
piggys

Post by piggys »

Well done Heartmum, such a great outcome for you and your ds. Really pleased for you :D
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

I am delighted for you Heartmum. A good time to move too just before the GCSE courses start. :D